Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
ahm_irf
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Irfan

Unable to login to guest OS to view running processes

Post by ahm_irf »

I am using Veeam Monitor for VMware 5.0. After connecting to my ESXi server, I tried to connect windows XP SP3 guest operating system on processes Tab, in order to view its processes. But I always get the error "Login failure: Unknown username or bad password". There is no firewall installed on the Guest OS and I have also enabled the remote connection on the guest OS. Does anyone have any idea about the problem.

PS: I am new to Veeam monitor tool
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Unable to login to guest OS to view running processes

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Irfan,

Could you please tell if you have any special characters in the user name or password? Are you able to connect to any other VM?

Thanks!
ahm_irf
Influencer

Post by ahm_irf »

No there is no special characters in the password. It just comprises of numbers and alphabets.

I have tried it on Linux where I got the error "network name cannot be found"
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hm... do you specify the credentials in the following format: DOMAIN\User_name? And what about other Windows Guests?
ahm_irf
Influencer

Post by ahm_irf »

Currently I have two physical machines connected using a hub. One has ESXi installed which has XP and Redhat on it. Other machine has Veeam Monitor installed which is monitoring the ESXi server. There is no domain defined. I tried to connect both the guest OS by giving the credentials as
1) simply usernames,
2) localdomain\root or localdomain\administrator,
3) I have also tried IP instead of localdomain and also the machine names.

Nothing has worked yet.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you create a test user on your XP VM and try this user while connecting from Monitor Client to Guest OS processes? If you're using workgroups then you need specify the account in the following format: Hostname\User

By the way, are you able to connect to the processes TAB while using Veeam Monitor as a target VM?

On top of that, could you try to run a runas command on Veeam Monitor server and open a remote registry on XP VM?
ahm_irf
Influencer

Post by ahm_irf »

I have tried a new user to connect to XP machine but couldn't get any success.

I also couldn't be able to access the remote registry and access denied message came out.

I have installed windows 2003 and create a user of same name and password on both XP (where Veeam monitor is running) and 2003 machine and Veeam Monitor got access of windows 2003 guest OS. I did this becaues of the following blog
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Win ... 00083.html

Could you please guide me why I am unable to connect windows XP Guest OS from Veeam Monitor. Besides I am able to connect 2003 registry from XP machine but Couldn't access XP registry remotely form other XP machine where veeam monitor is running.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Irfan, it could be Win XP group policies or some other local restrictions...could you please tell if you're using Workgroups or Domain in your environment?
ahm_irf
Influencer

Post by ahm_irf »

I am using a Workgroup in my environment
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Then it must be some local group policies restrictions on Win XP VM, I believe the clue here is to troubleshoot an access to remote registry on XP VMs, then your Monitor application will be able to connect to Guest OS processes tab. By the way do you have XP VMs deployed from the same template?
ahm_irf
Influencer

Post by ahm_irf »

No XP VMs are not deployed from the same template.

I am also trying to connect to Redhat Linux installed on VM but getting an error which says "network name cannot be found". Since Veeam monitor is running on an XP machine and I am trying to connect a Linux machine, do I need any services such as SAMBA for establishing the connection. By the way, both the machines can ping each other.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm...."network name cannot be found" sounds like a DNS problem to me. To establish connection to a VM you need to enable remote registry for Windows VMs and make sure SSH is running for Linux VMs. That being said, another way of checking the connection should be trying to do it via PuTTy.
So could you please check if you're able to connect to Linux Guest from Monitor VM using PuTTy?
ahm_irf
Influencer

Post by ahm_irf »

I am able to connect linux VM using PuTTy from XP machine (where veeam monitor is running)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you have VMware Tools installed on that Linux VM by any chance? If not please install it and try once again.

Also taking into consideration the GUI is responsible for establishing the connection, I would recommend installing it on Windows 2003 and try initiating connection to the same Win2003 VM, as I think that WinXP (where Veeam Monitor is installed) might be the reason for those issues.

Hope it helps!
ahm_irf
Influencer

Post by ahm_irf »

the VMware tools are already installed in the linux VM.

I've installed Veeam monitor to windows 2003 VM. The Veeam Monitor shows "not responding" in the tree hierarchy when I try to connect it to linux VM from windows 2003 VM.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Irfan, could you please tell me what error message do you have in Veeam Client GUI log files? If you need any assistance in reviewing those logs please contact our support team directly.