Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
rosman4u
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Shawn

Leftover AVHDX Files after backup

Post by rosman4u »

Hello all,

Fairly new to Veeam and I do have an open case for this as well but was curious to see if anyone else has had this issue with Veeam BR. I had to run an active full the other day and since then noticed I started losing space on my shared cluster drive for my VM's. What I discovered was my SQL VM folder grew to over 100GB on top of its typically 300GB size. Once I checked I noticed all the avhdx files listed. Is there any way to get Veeam to merge this files to the VHDX on my vm?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Leftover AVHDX Files after backup

Post by Mike Resseler »

Shawn,

Please post the case ID here also and the follow-up of the work with support.

That SQL server VM, is that a standalone? (I mean, not a virtual cluster with a shared VHDX or VHD Set as in 2016?) Reason: in 2016 the VHD set works with a AVHDX format but it is not a checkpoint!
Second: Can you look in Hyper-V manager and see if you have that checkpoint running? What are the details of it?
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange » 1 person likes this post

Here's some info that will probably fix your issue:
https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2015/ ... l-machine/
rosman4u
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Shawn

Post by rosman4u »

Mike Resseler wrote:Shawn,

Please post the case ID here also and the follow-up of the work with support.

That SQL server VM, is that a standalone? (I mean, not a virtual cluster with a shared VHDX or VHD Set as in 2016?) Reason: in 2016 the VHD set works with a AVHDX format but it is not a checkpoint!
Second: Can you look in Hyper-V manager and see if you have that checkpoint running? What are the details of it?
My case ID# is 02131252. Thanks for the follow-up guys. I did manage to get this resolved with good direction from support and combing thru my logs. Apparently, the previous admin setup site to site replication through Hyper-V and that link was broken since the DR site was down. Not only did I have leftover AVHDX files but also .hrl files growing quickly in size. Pausing the replication and finally get the DR site backup cleared everything up.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Shawn,

Happy to hear that it is solved. Thanks for coming back to us with the solution

Cheers
Mike
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

@nmdange

Great post by one of the Veeam Vanguards ;-). Just a quick, additional note, because of the new VHD-set using AVHDX as an extension, I have seen people trying those type of procedures on that one, and then (when it doesn't work) just delete it. I still wonder why MSFT decided to give it the same extension name :-(