Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AlanRaczek
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alan Raczek

BR initial install remote SQL

Post by AlanRaczek »

Server2012 R2, SQL 2012

I have been trying to troubleshoot an initial install of BR and not finding much documentation. The first thing I am interested in are the requirements for
getting this done to include:
1. Should the database already exist in remote SQL or will setup create it?
2. What requirements are needed on the SQL server for the service account
- I gave the service account local admin on SQL, created a login to SQL
- DNS is working fine, nslookup shows correct machine
- Default SQL instance, SQL Browser is running
- ODBC connection works fine
Error is:
Unable to connect to SQL Server machine\mssqlserver. A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing
a connection to SQL Server. More follows, shows error: 25 .

Running out of ideas. If I look in the SQL logs I don't see that the machine is even trying to hit the SQL server, no errors specific to what I am
doing.

ty in advance.

...Alan
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: BR initial install remote SQL

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Alan,

1) The database should not exist already. If it already exists, it will notify you from it (could be from a previous installation)
2) Error 25 means that there is a problem, most likely permissions. Are you using Windows authentication for the service account to connect to the remote server? If you are, how exactly did you gave those rights on SQL. I can read it wrong, but it looks like you gave the service account local admin rights on the windows box, and created a SQL login for it through the SQL management studio. If that is the case, that won't work. That service account needs to be added and then given specific permissions.

From our manual:
The account used to run Veeam Backup Service requires db_datareader and db_datawriter roles as well as permissions to execute stored procedures for the configuration database on the Microsoft SQL Server. Alternatively, you can assign db_owner role for this database to the service account.
AlanRaczek
Influencer

Post by AlanRaczek »

Mike-

Could you tell me what manual this is in? I have been looking for this info. But, anyway, tell me if I am wrong. Don't I need a database to actually assign those rolls?
Or do I assign them to the Master db.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

The manual can be found here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

For the permissions, just assign the permissions on the SQL server instance for the service account.

Thinking of it, it seems that those rights are not enough for the installation since a DB needs to be created and the reader and writer permissions are probably not enough. Need to verify that. I will verify with the technical writers team. So if you can, give the service account full rights on the SQL server during installation and change it afterwards to the db_datareader and db_datawriter (+ permissions to execute stored procedures) for the specific database.

Mike
AlanRaczek
Influencer

Post by AlanRaczek »

Okay-

To assign roles I assume we are using the master db. Tell me if I am wrong. I also tried SQL authentication and same error, like it can't reach the SQL server.
I tried using a text file saved as a *.UDL and it worked. When I purposely put in an NT account in the SQL login credentials I DID get an error in the SQL log so to a point
the veeam machine is getting to the SQL server. Currently I gave the service account db owner.

...Alan
AlanRaczek
Influencer

Post by AlanRaczek »

As an FYI error is:
Unable to connect to SQL Server name\instance. A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL server. The
server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that the SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not valid)

SQL server is a production server running perfectly well with other applications having remote connections.
AlanRaczek
Influencer

Post by AlanRaczek »

For SQL rights- I gave the service account (domain\svc-veeam) dbo on the mater database. I would think that would be plenty of rights. There are no SQL tools installed on the veeam machine.

...Alan
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Alan,

Sorry for my late reply. Did that fix it? I am not sure if I understand it from your message?
AlanRaczek
Influencer

Post by AlanRaczek »

Unfortunately no. I am having the ePo SA's turn off all HBSS (HIPS) components to make sure that is not blocking anything.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Time to ask support for assistance, I think.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Alan,

Foggy is right. Best is to create a support call.

In the meantime, as promised, I have talked to some teams to figure out what exactly is needed and we realized that the "install" rights should be added to the manual, and not only the rights needed during day-to-day running.

For a new database, the rights that the account that you use to install (so your loginaccount on the server) are: CREATE ANY DATABASE permission on the server level.

As said, we are going to look how we can adapt our manual for the next version to include all of this information.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Cheers
Mike
andrei.goga
Lurker
Full Name: Andrei Goga

Post by andrei.goga »

I'm somehow off topic here but I cannot create new post's because I just join the forum and I guess I don't have the option to create new topics yet.

My issue:
We have Veeam 11 installed with remote database and I need to know which SQL modules need to be installed locally on my Veeam server in order to work with remote database.
I ask this because first installation was with a local database (the one included in Veeam - SQL express) and after that I switch to remote database(by uninstalling Veeam and install again with remote database) and I'm not sure if something is remaining installed and is not useful anymore for actual situation with remote database(which is separate instance of Microsoft SQL xxxx standard edition)
Our backup solution work as expected bur for hardening reasons I need to be sure I keep only what is needed.
In this moment, in App and Features on the backup server, I have 12 SQL related packages installed locally and I don't know which is safe to uninstall without impacting the functionality of the backup solution.

Thank you!