Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
aleksandr.markovskij
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

SureBackup fails all tests, need help to set-up correctly

Post by aleksandr.markovskij »

Hello,
I'm trying to get SureBackup report to verify backups.
But i stumbled upon many problems in the way.
I want to know if i'm doing something wrong, because the process of creating virtual lab was more complex than i imagined. If it's not me, i'll contact the support with logs.

I created Virtual Lab, set-up proxy with unused IP address from our production network and used "Basic (single-host Automatic configuration)". But after SureBackup failed the VM was orphaned in vCenter, i found here an old thread that you have to add vCenter server, not ESXi servers directly to Veeam (didn't know that, backups worked fine like that). I've done that, re-created everything, re-launched SureBackup job, it fails and now VM is not orphaned, but it's totally gone, though i always put a tick on "Keep the application group running after the job completes".

1) Why VM in Virtual Lab disappears after job is done? I cannot try to test it further manually if it's deleted.

The heartbeat test passes, but ping test fails. The IP of the VM is 192.168.100.104, but ping test tries to ping 192.168.255.104, which obviously shouldn't exist. There's something with masquerading IPs, but i don't really understand why it's needed, i don't need connection from Lab to Production network.

Code: Select all

[13.04.2017 14:25:27] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [HQ5] [PingTest] Begin 'Network adapter 1: IP address 192.168.100.104, pinging...'
[13.04.2017 14:25:27] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [HQ5] [PingTest] [Simulation] Pinging 192.168.255.104 with 32 bytes of data:
[13.04.2017 14:25:32] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [HQ5] [PingTest] [Simulation] Request timed out.
[13.04.2017 14:26:02] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [HQ5] [PingTest] [Simulation] Ping statistics for 192.168.255.104:
[13.04.2017 14:26:02] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [HQ5] [PingTest] [Simulation]     Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
[13.04.2017 14:26:02] <01> Warning  [SureBackup] [HQ5] [PingTest] End 'Network adapter 1: IP address 192.168.100.104, failed - request timed out'
[13.04.2017 14:26:02] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [HQ5] [PingTest] | # | IP                       | Masquerade IP   | Ping State | Fail Reason         |
[13.04.2017 14:26:02] <01> Info     [SureBackup] [HQ5] [PingTest] | 2 | 192.168.100.104          | 192.168.255.104 | Failed     | Request timed out.  |
2) Why does it ping masquerade IP but not real machine IP?

Subsequent tests fail, because they're also trying to use wrong IP address.

Code: Select all

[SureBackup] [ScriptTests] [Console] Error 10060, A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.255.104:389
2017-04-13 14:34:39 Error    Predefined script 1: name DNS Server, error code 10060
2017-04-13 14:35:00 Error    Predefined script 2: name Domain Controller, error code 10060
2017-04-13 14:35:22 Error    Predefined script 3: name Global Catalog, error code 10060
2017-04-13 14:35:22 Error    Results: 0/3 test(s) passed, 3 failed, 0 skipped
3) Also i couldn't login to Virtual Lab Proxy appliance, the VM created by Virtual Lab. I thought maybe i could try to test ping manually from this machine to the restored VM, but i cannot login there, and VM is also deleted. This article didn't help, there are no options mentioned in the article (https://www.veeam.com/kb1447)

I can restore VMs manually to isolated network on our system, everything works fine, i have tested it before. But i would like to get some Veeam generated SureBackup report to present to my authorities.
Thank you.
aleksandr.markovskij
Influencer

Re: SureBackup fails all tests, need help to set-up correctl

One more question. I'd like to test a specific backup, for example from tape, but it looks like SureBackup uses only the last restore point, and doesn't let me choose a restore point to test. Is this by design?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can use Start To option to verify specific point.
aleksandr.markovskij
Influencer

Oh, thanks, i'll try that when i solve the issues i mentioned. Since i don't get an answer here, i'll probably create a support ticket on Monday.
crenstrom
Novice
Full Name: Chad Renstrom

Post by crenstrom » 1 person likes this post

I'm just finishing wrapping up SureBackup setup and had some similar issues. Since you're unsure of how the masquerade address is used, my hunch is you have a proxy configuration issue. There can be a variety of reasons why your ping won't work and this KB article might help identify which area to focus your efforts. https://www.veeam.com/kb1067. It could be firewalls or a routing issue and I found this KB helpful identifying the problem. It doesn't solve the problem though... You'll need to understand how your production network is configured in order to properly setup your proxy. Here is the setup documentation for surebackup which does a good job explaining what the masquerade network does and how to configure each of the settings: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95.

As a side-note: The masquerade address is used to ping from your SureBackup server, through your Virtual Lab proxy, to the application group VM. Run "route print" when your application group has started to get a picture of what is happening. This process is included in the KB link earlier. I noticed the checkbox to "keep the application group running" too and that it doesn't keep things running if it fails. It does keep things running if the job completes successfully. Not sure if that's an oversight or by design.
KFlynn
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kevin Flynn

Post by KFlynn »

I'd recommend using Advanced single-host networking. That way you can manually define the networking.
aleksandr.markovskij
Influencer

Crenstrom, thank you! I followed the steps on kb1067 and quoted step below solved it. I had to select "Advanced single-host" settings and change the IP of virtual NIC to our network gateway IP and all tests passed. So the automatic configuration doesn't work and VM gets deleted if SureBackup job fails.
VNIC FOR ISOLATED NETWORK MISCONFIGURED
The isolated NIC within the Virtual Lab configuration is not configured to have the IP of the Gateway which the VMs within the isolated environment are set to contact. Check the settings for the Virtual NIC settings on the Network Settings tab. If this tab does not appear in the Virtual Lab settings, change the radio option on the Networking tab to “Advanced single-host”.
Now just out of curiosity if anyone can tell me how to login to Virtual Lab proxy i could mark this thread as solved.
aleksandr.markovskij
Influencer

Oops, i think i celebrated too early. The job stuck at 99% for couple of hours already. Well the log says "Job session '...' has been completed, result: 'Success'". I had marked to verify backup files, maybe that made it stuck, will try to undo that tick on the next test.
aleksandr.markovskij
Influencer

I stopped the job and the VM is gone again, deleted automatically, though the job status is "Success". This needs to be looked at. If i want Veeam not to delete VM after testing, it should NOT delete it.

I also checked the tick on the SureBackup job to "Validate entire disk contents", but in the status window it says "Verification disabled", on the report also.
Overall, i'm dissapointed in SureBackup, so much hassle and so little results and i can't continue testing the VM manually, because it gets deleted.

JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC » 2 people like this post

I'm not fully following the discussion, but it is by design that after SureBackup runs, the VM is powered off and removed. If you are needing to do additional troubleshooting on it, you can go into the job history of SureBackup and right click on a VM and click Start and it will start the VM back up and keep it running, but you have to go into the history for each VM you want to start back up.

As someone else noted above, if you select to keep the Application Group running after the job completes, it has to be a success. The process I described of starting a SureBackup VM in troubleshooting mode will keep it running even if it fails.
aleksandr.markovskij
Influencer

Post by aleksandr.markovskij » 1 person likes this post

Wow! I haven't seen this feature described anywhere in the documentation.
It's a strange design, if you ask me. Documentation says, that if you need further testing the VMs in the Lab, just mark the tick, but it is not so.
It would be nice to login to DC, check mail and make sure that backups are working fine, after initial SureBackup tests run or fail, to troubleshoot why they fail.

Well God damn, this troubleshooting mode even launches the Console! Looks like just by clicking on the VM name in history list. Not very intuitive. But whatever.
I'm tired of fighting and poking blindly in every step.

Thank you Crenstrom and JoshuaPostSAMC, your suggestions solved my problems and i can continue working. Though i hoped that Veeam staff will help me, but community saved the day :)
I cannot edit my posts, please mark this thread as "Solved".
aleksandr.markovskij
Influencer

OK, i know i'm probably beating a dead horse here, but.. I stumbled upon one more problem. Some of our servers have multiple IPs, for example mailbox server has 192.168.100.100 main IP so users can access it, and 192.168.80.100, which is servers only IP, it has no gateway etc. (It's probably our fault, that main IP is higher that secondary IP, we had problems before, where lower IP gets selected first.)

SureBackup boots up the machine finds 192.168.80.100 and sticks to it, tries to ping it, but gets "Results: IP address 192.168.80.100 is detected [PowerOnVm] Begin 'Updating virtual lab parameters'
Error [SureBackup] [MBX1] [PowerOnVm] Results: no destination network for IP address 192.168.80.100". So it deletes everything in Aplication Group again and i'm back to square one. Logs have no record of main IP 192.168.100.100 at all.

Do you think this is it? SureBackup is lost cause for us?

EDIT: I think i found the culprit vmware-vsphere-f24/surebackup-and-multi ... 40191.html
n.kadkhodaei
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nima Kadkhodaei

Re: SureBackup fails all tests, need help to set-up correctly

Post by n.kadkhodaei »

Hi Everybody
In " Virtual Lab " ---> Networking " You Must Choose " Advanced Single-Host or Advanced Multi-Host " ---> Next
In " Network Setting " in " Proxy Appliance Connectivity: " Click Edit ---> IP Address Must Be In Range Appliance Proxy & Uncheck " Enable DHCP Service On This Interface " ---> Next & Finish

In " Sure Backup Job " ---> Linked Jobs ---> Enable " Link Jobs " and " Add " ---> After Config & Finish ---> RUN " Sure Backup Job " & Done