Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rtmiranda
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Rick Miranda

Unable to auto-match disks

Post by rtmiranda »

I downloaded Veeam Endpoint 1.5 and made a full image of a Windows 7 system on a WD external drive. The Windows system is an HP Z440. I then installed Linux on it to do some specific work. Once done, I proceeded to do a VEEAM restore using the recovery disk made with VEEAM. I booted and selected the bare metal restore option, which starts Veeam endpoint recovery. I run through the steps, selecting the VEEAM backup file and proceeding to the Restore Mode step. I select "Entire computer", press Next and I get:

Unable to auto-match disks, please use manual restore mode.

If I use manual restore, it will properly list the system and OSDisk (C:) volumes from my backup, but when I select them, it says:

Cannot find original disk layout. Do you want to partition this disk manually

And if I choose this option, then the program displays a blank disk map and at this point I am stuck. I seem unable to do a simple restore of the whole disk.

Any ideas? (someone suggested that I reformat the disk, which is now holding the Linux OS)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Unable to auto-match disks

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Rick,

Can you check that your disk is visible in Recovery Media? From mail splash screen go to Tools > CMD. Try to:

Code: Select all

Diskpart
List volumes
And share the output.
rtmiranda
Novice

Post by rtmiranda »

Thank you Dima P.

Output of LIST DISK:

Disk ### Status Size
---------- ------- ----
Disk 0 No Media 0 B
Disk 1 No Media 0 B
Disk 2 No Media 0 B

Ouput of LIST VOLUME:

Volume ### Ltr Status Size
---------- --- ------- ----
Volume 0 C No Media 0 B
Volume 1 D No Media 0 B
Volume 2 E No Media 0 B

Finally, LIST PARTITION on Disk 0 says: There are no partitions on this disk to show.

Of course disk 0 is there, and boots to Linux CentOS normally when I remove the recovery DVD.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Rick,

Thanks. Can you share the recovery logs from your recovery media? Try to run a restore as you did before and confirm that you see the same behavior. Close recovery wizard, navigate to tools and use Export logs tool. Save the logs to your USB drive and share it with me (dropbox, google drive or any other public hosting works).
rtmiranda
Novice

Re: Unable to auto-match disks: DIAGNOSED

Post by rtmiranda »

Hello Dima,

One of our IT guys who uses VEEAM a lot looked at my set up and guessed what the problem was: my HP Z440 system uses an SSD drive and there were issues (I don't know the details) regarding Windows' support for this drive. We also downloaded the proper driver for this SSD unit.

So I suggest we consider this issue as resolved (you need the right drivers!) for now.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Rick,

Does this mean that you can and succeeded in doing that recovery?