Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Conexus
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Conexus Admin

Proper settings for a separate weekly job

Post by Conexus »

My currently daily backups are set as follows.

Backup Jobs are grouped/setup on VMware tags and go to a local NAS (iSCSI LUN). Incremental (forever forward) with 7 restore points, no full or synthetic backups, set to perform health checks every Sunday.
Each job has a Backup Copy Job with the 'Backup Job' as the type. These all go to a cloud repository. We are trying to only keep one week on the cloud repository for space issues so that's why we don't have full or synthetic backups on the main Backup Job. I also have weekly health checks (Saturday) on the cloud repository backup copy jobs.

We also want to have a separate full backup job run on Saturday every weekly with 5 restore points retained. These jobs will go to the same local NAS as the daily backup jobs, but in a different folder. Will setting up a separate job using the same VMware tags cause any problem with the backup flags? That is will it disrupt the incremental jobs that run the rest of the week if they see that a full backup was run on Saturday?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Proper settings for a separate weekly job

Post by PTide »

Hi,
We are trying to only keep one week on the cloud repository for space issues so that's why we don't have full or synthetic backups on the main Backup Job.
Backup Copy Job retention is independent from the source job's retention, so the presence of fulls won't affect the length of the backup copy chain.
We also want to have a separate full backup job run on Saturday every weekly with 5 restore points retained.
I'd suggest you to use Backup Copy with GFS settings for that.
That is will it disrupt the incremental jobs that run the rest of the week if they see that a full backup was run on Saturday?
No, it won't, jobs overlapping is handled automatically by Veeam B&R.

Thanks
Conexus
Novice

Post by Conexus »

Thanks for the reply. The weekly jobs are locally stored and I have plenty of space so I'll be doing full backups on each.

My jobs are organized by VMware tags. So I have my backup job run and the backup copy job is using the 'Backup Job' (under 'Objects to Process' in the 'Virtual Machines' tab when editing the job). If I setup another backup job using type 'Backup Job' to do my weekly backups will that cause any conflicts at all? I was told that VMs get flagged as already backed up and I don't want one job to change the flag for another job. I hope I'm asking this question right, please let me know if you need clarification.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

If I setup another backup job using type 'Backup Job' to do my weekly backups will that cause any conflicts at all?
No, it won't cause conflicts, however it is recommended to use Backup Copy Job in such scenarios. Please tell me ehy would you want to run another full Backup Job against production VM on Saturdays thus causing an extra load on the storage if you already have Saturday incremental backups that have been produced by your daily jobs and can be used to create separate full backups?
I was told that VMs get flagged as already backed up and I don't want one job to change the flag for another job.
I'm not sure that I understand what flag are you referring to, please elaborate.

Thanks
Conexus
Novice

Post by Conexus »

I had someone on Reddit answer this for me.
The source for a backup job is a VM. The source for a backup copy is a backup file.
By configuring a backup copy you are not grabbing data from your production vms each time it runs thus eliminating any potential performance impact you could see.
To short answer to your second question is no, you don't have to worry. You will see two separate jobs for which you can restore data from (even though they contain the same machines), one will have your daily restore points while the other has your weekly restore points.
I get it now and I'm good to go. Thanks for your help.