Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
michaelryancook
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Michael Cook

Process to import backup from SOBR backup copy

Post by michaelryancook »

Hello and TIA.

I am writing a DR process for restoring IT services in a disaster. Currently we are using replication jobs for most of our VMs which means a simple failover plan will bring the majority of our IT services online when the DRP is activated. However due to Oracle licensing we must rely on backup copy jobs to get our Oracle servers to our DR site. Before SOBR it was simple to open Veeam at the DR site and import the backup file and then spin the VM up off the imported backup file using Instant VM Recovery. We have recently implemented SOBR at our DR site. Now I am not sure how to handle the import. I read https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 which states "To import a backup from the scale-out backup repository, you must place backup files from all extents to one staging folder. The staging folder can reside on any server added to the backup infrastructure. After that, you can import the backup as usual." However I am not sure how to make sure I have all of the backup files from all the extents. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to restore the configuration from the primary site Veeam server as our DR Veeam server is already being used to run the replication jobs.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Process to import backup from SOBR backup copy

Post by veremin »

Haven't you thought about orchestrating everything from DR site? Not only should this make your management routine easier (everything within single pane of glass), but also it should help you avoid importing backups in case of disaster, as backup server would be already aware of backup placement, etc. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Backup files are stored in the folder named by the name of the job, so you would be able to collect those from all of the extents. Another option is to rescan the corresponding repository on the DR Veeam B&R instance, then you'll have all the backups stored there registered and ready for restore.
michaelryancook
Expert

Thank you for the replies Foggy and Vladimir.

Vladimir: I had thought about running all the jobs from the DR site but my concern is that I could miss a backup if the connection between my DR and primary site is down. Although I don't believe we have ever lost that connection so perhaps I am overthinking it.

Foggy: Would it be possible to create a SOBR at on the DR instance adding the extents that are part of the SOBR at the primary? This would make rescan simple but I was not sure if this would cause issues.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, it is possible to build SOBR from the same extents on another Veeam B&R instance, provided the original one is not available. It would cause issues in case the original one is still alive though.
michaelryancook
Expert

That is what my concern would be. Thank you for the clarification.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Vladimir: I had thought about running all the jobs from the DR site but my concern is that I could miss a backup if the connection between my DR and primary site is down. Although I don't believe we have ever lost that connection so perhaps I am overthinking it.
Even if you have to deal with rare network problems (which seem to be really rare in your case), the whole scenario where all control levers are present within single server appears to be more convenient. But, of course, it's up to you to decide which idea meets your requirements best. Thanks.
michaelryancook
Expert

I think we will be moving to a single server for the reasons you have brought up. We are considering a second link between the two sites to alleviate the concern with the link. Thank you both for your assistance on this it is much appreciated.