Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
NicolasM
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Nicolas

NetApp ONTAP Release Model

Post by NicolasM »

I have been asked by Veeam Support to direct this question to the Community Forums, so here goes.

My question is how does Veeam handle supporting new software releases from their Global Alliance Partners, specifically NetApp? NetApp has a cadence release model for their ONTAP software where they provide new feature releases and service updates multiple times per year. For a proper patch and update management it is essential for us to have a ETA of Veeam updates supporting these new releases and updates.

So far I have yet to find an official statement regarding Veeam's strategy on this matter. The only way at the moment is to wait for new Veeam updates and hope that the new ONTAP version is supported but this can delay implementing new updates for months.

Can someone shed some light on this matter or had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Nicolas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: NetApp ONTAP Release Model

Post by foggy »

Hi Nicolas, minor updates that do not require us to fully retest entire functionality are typically supported without additional efforts from our side. You can find a bunch of forum threads where users ask us to officially claim this or that firmware release support once it is out, which we promptly do after deploying the update and checking basic scenarios. It could take longer for major updates, though, depending on the amount and severity of features they introduce and to what extent they affect our integration. If any additional development is required on our side, then such updates are supported in one of the next releases.
NicolasM
Service Provider

Post by NicolasM »

Hi foggy, thanks for your reply.

So am I correct saying that minor updates are supported without an official statement from Veeam and then later tested, verified and included in the next update? Because when asking Veeam Support they explicitly advised against updating to ONTAP 9.1 because 9.5 U1 only has been tested up to ONTAP 9.0.

My customer wants to go from ONTAP 8.3.2 to 9.1 as soon as possible but because only up to ONTAP 9.0 is currently supported by B&R, we've had to put this on hold. Furthermore when he asked when he can expect Veeam to support the new release, my answer being "I have no idea" was understandably not so well received.

Now I know by now that ONTAP 9.1 will be supported by B&R 9.5 U2 which is to be expected in May. It's just the fact of not knowing / not having a vague ETA that does not sit so well with my customers. They expect me and Veeam to tell them roughly when new Veeam updates are coming out to support new software releases of their chosen Global Alliance Partner, so they can properly do patch and update management.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I didn't say that support comes without the official statements. Specifically for ONTAP 9.1, we didn't see any issues with it internally, so it can be used with Veeam B&R v9.5 Update 1 provided no new functionality is involved.
NicolasM
Service Provider

Post by NicolasM »

I am getting mixed signals here. Veeam Support explicitly advised me against updating to ONTAP 9.1 because 9.5 U1 only has been tested up to ONTAP 9.0. Also there have been some posts on the forums where backup from storage snapshots ceased working when using ONTAP 9.1 with B&R 9.5 U1. It may or may not work but without official support I would not recommend an update to my customers.

I just want to know 2 things:

1) How fast are new software updates from Global Alliance Partners adapted into Veeam B&R? On best effort? Or within the next update?

2) Does Veeam have a release model for minor software updates for B&R? Does every major version get a certain amount of updates on a regular basis?

With this information, my customers can properly do update management. They understand it takes time to test new software releases, they just want a rough ETA (and so do I).
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

1. It depends, I'd say crucial updates are supported on best effort (meaning the next Veeam B&R update, in case any development is required from our side).
2. Yes, we typically issue updates once in three or four months.
Pat490
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Patrick

Post by Pat490 »

we are also waiting for full support for OnTap 9.1
always so many dependencies. Even NetApp has not added full support for vSphere 6.5 and VSC plugin yet. There should be a new v7 for VSC sooner or later with support for 6.5 and webclient.

side note: NetApp just released 9.1P3 http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/downloa ... tap/9.1P3/