Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
stvajnkf
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times

For what is SQL Installation needed? Endpoint Protection

Post by stvajnkf »

Hi,

iam currently testing Endpoint Protection and i was wondering, for what exactly is the installation of SQL needed? I deactivated the SQL service and a Backup was still possible.
Does it have any side effects if I leave the SQL service disabled?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: For what is SQL Installation needed? Endpoint Protection

Post by Dima P. »

Hello stvajnkf,

SQL DB keeps you job settings and if you disable it VEB/VAW wont work.
stvajnkf
Enthusiast

Post by stvajnkf »

Thats weird, because i disabled the service "SQL Servcer VSS Writer" and doing a backup is no problem.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Stvajnkf,

When you disable the SQL Service VSS writer you don't disable the database. It is still running under another service. This specific service is part of the VSS framework.

The Database Engine locks and has exclusive access to the data files. When the SQL Writer Service is not running, backup programs running in Windows do not have access to the data files, and backups must be performed using SQL Server backup. (but specifically for the SQL data, the rest of the backup on your machine will work through other writers)

Hope it makes sense
Mike
stvajnkf
Enthusiast

Post by stvajnkf »

No, sorry. I dont understand it. :oops: The SQL Service VSS writer came with the Installation of Endpoint Protection. I prefer to not have any unnecessary services running in the backround. Everything seems to work without this service, but I am not sure about it. Thats why I am asking. Sorry if I am dumb :oops:
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

First, asking questions is not what I consider dumb ;-)

The VSS framework is a solution from Microsoft that allows to take backups from files or applications (for example, Exchange and SharePoint also have a specific VSS writer) even if those applications are running. (Remember the good old days when you had to create scripts to stop a certain application before backup and start it again after backup...). Through this VSS framework this is not necessary anymore. You create a snapshot, you can take the backup, and release the snapshot and all applications were continuously running. PS: That service comes with SQL DB and not with Endpoint :-)

I am not going into much detail about VSS but in essence you have a requestor (in this case, a backup application), a writer (specifically for the app, so SQL, Exchange but also for the file system, WMI and so on and so forth. Run vssadmin list writers in an elevated command prompt to see the ones that are in use) and finally a provider (kind of the service that is the "organizer" of this and arranges everything between the components).

Even if that service is running, it won't take resources. It will stay idle until it is being "called" or "requested" (so only during backup)

If you let it run, basically your databases (although it is probably only the one from Endpoint) will be requested to get into a consistent state and you will not end up with a potential data issue for that database

If additional questions or still not clear, let me know
stvajnkf
Enthusiast

Post by stvajnkf »

Thanks, that makes things clearer. :-)

Funny, that you mention scripts, because thats how my backup look likes. My plan is, to expand my current script with start/stop commands for the VeeamEndpointBackupSvc and the SQL Service VSS writer. So that these services only run, when the backup is supposed to start. Iam not goint to use the buildin scheduler. This also seems to work without problems during my tests. And when both services are disabled until there are need, there should not be any inconsistent data, hopefully...^^
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Interesting scenario.

One of the reasons we used this localDB (it is not really SQL but a very light version of it, specifically designed by MSFT for this) and the fact that we limit our resources (background) you should not be able to see any effect (besides a minor 200 MB of ram or so...) during normal operations. In fact, we also did this because we originally designed it for endpoints and you don't want photoshop/ word/ powerpoint to become slower when the backup runs, or is in background mode :-)

Anyway, keep us informed how it works further and if you encounter issues

Cheers
Mike
stvajnkf
Enthusiast

Post by stvajnkf » 1 person likes this post

Thank you for your support and your help. I actually expected that you would say something like "Good luck with that, don't ask us when you run into problems..." (I have seen this before on other topics).
Seeing that you still offer me support shows me, that I have chosen the right Backup Solution. If something does not work as expected I will post an Update :-) Thanks alot.
stvajnkf
Enthusiast

Post by stvajnkf »

Hi,

i got another question: When the Backup is running via Command Line, the setting "Backup no more often than x days" seems not to work. I set it on 1 Day but it gets ignored. The Backup also finish with warning everytime. Backup location is getting low on free disk space (396,6 GB free of 5,3 TB). Is there a setting I could make to avoid this warning (except get more free space :P )?
hoFFy
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Post by hoFFy »

Hi,

AFAIK works the "no more than x times settings" only with the integrated scheduler. This is per design. I'm wondering how you schedule the start-stop of the services - when you do this with the Windows task planner you must have an exact plan how often backups run per day. Or did I misunderstand you?
The warning for the backup location comes after less than 10% of free space are available. But a RegKey could help you, try searching the forum or use this link: post229730.html?hilit=Is%20getting%20low#p229730
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
stvajnkf
Enthusiast

Post by stvajnkf »

Thanks alot, I hoped for a RegKey. :-) Too bad, there only one for the warning. I got a script in my autostart. This script checks if its friday and if so, the Veeam services will be started and also the backup. When I restart the PC, the backup executes again. Hoped there would be a solution too. Since my usercase is a little more special I can understand why there is none. :wink: