Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cstemaly
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Changing Storage Optimization

Post by cstemaly »

I have a several jobs that have been running successfully for quite some time. They use reverse incremental and have 4 restore points. I have been digging into how to improve my configurations, and discovered that I can improve deduplication by changing Storage Optimization to optimize for WAN target. Currently, the jobs are configured to use Local Target optimization.

I found the current line in the documentation:
Changes in compression and deduplication settings are not applied to the previous backup chains. The changes will take effect only when a new full backup is created.

With this in mind, how would I go about changing my jobs to optimize for WAN target with the least amount of effort? Should I just copy the data elsewhere and recreate the job?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Changing Storage Optimization

Post by veremin »

Should I just copy the data elsewhere and recreate the job?
You can just change the corresponding option in backup job settings and wait till the next full backup will take place: be it manual or automatic run.

Thanks.
cstemaly
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by cstemaly »

When will the next full backup run?

My job is set to Reverse Incremental with no Active Fulls.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In this case, just perform manual full backup by right-clicking the corresponding job and selecting “Active Full” option.

Thanks.
RaymondV
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Changing the Storage Optimization setting

Post by RaymondV »

Hi,

We use forward incremental backups with weekly synthetic fulls including transforms into rollbacks. I want to change the Storage Optimization setting from "Local" to "LAN target" (and perhaps later on to "WAN target) to save storage space on my backup repository. I understand that I need to perform a full backup for the change to take effect. Will a synthetic full be enough or do I have to run an active full? Some of our VM's are rather big and I don't want to have 2 or more full backupfiles per job on my repository.

Regards,
Raymond
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Raymond, active full backup should be triggered in order to apply these settings. Thanks!
Squish
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ondřej Kraus

Post by Squish »

What will happen if I have backup copy chained to this job ? After active full it will copy all the data again ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Ondřej, backup copy job will fail, since it does not support mix of block sizes. You'd need to perform manual active full for backup copy as well.
Squish
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ondřej Kraus

Post by Squish »

Thank you foggy, copy job to tape will be with same result right ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, tape jobs are not affected by the block size change, since they operate with entire backup files.
ernst.meinhart
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by ernst.meinhart »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Oct 26, 2014 7:06 pm Hi Raymond, active full backup should be triggered in order to apply these settings. Thanks!
Hi Vitaliy,

i know it´s an old thread but i have this situation on VBR 11 that i´ve changed the Optimization Target for incremental forward backup jobs.

My question is will the change of this setting also apply when the job for compacting full backup files is done or is performing an active full backup job the still the only option?

As i don´t have enough space to perform an full backup for all jobs it´s an important question for me.

Thanks
konstantin.k
Veeam Software
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Konstantin Komelin

Post by konstantin.k »

Hi Ernst,

Active full backup would be the only option to implement the optimization target settings.

Thanks,
Konstantin