Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sbrissen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Brissenden

Choose which Veeam server to restore from?

Post by sbrissen »

I have a script that automates the restore of a SQL DB from the most recent copy of a production database to a development server. We have 2 Veeam servers, one in our main datacenter (named vbr) and one in our Colo (named colovbr). VBR backs up the SQL server, then a backup copy job runs that copies it to COLOVBR. The problem I have is that when I kick off the restore of the SQL DB it is using COLOVBR to do the restore and takes hours to finish since it is going over the WAN, I would like it to use VBR. Is there a way to select which Veeam server to use to do the backup?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Choose which Veeam server to restore from?

Post by foggy »

Hi Scott, are you talking about restore from the local repository of from the backup copy?
sbrissen
Novice

Post by sbrissen »

I would like to use the local repository and not the backup copy.

In my script I call the restore with the following code:

Code: Select all

$restorePoint = Get-VBRApplicationRestorePoint -SQL -Name $vbrJobName | Sort-Object {[DateTime]$_."CreationTime"} | select -Last 1
$dbRestorePoint = Get-VBRSQLDatabase -ApplicationRestorePoint $restorePoint -Name $vbrJobDB
Start-VBRSQLDatabaseRestore -Database $dbRestorePoint -ServerName $vbrJobDestination -InstanceName $vbrJobInstance -DatabaseName $vbrJobDBRestoreName -GuestCredentials $guestcreds -SqlCredentials $guestcreds -Force
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What name do you specify as $vbrJobName? Name of your local backup job or name of backup copy job?
sbrissen
Novice

Post by sbrissen »

$vbrJobName is actually the VM Name. If I try to search using the Backup job name, the command tells me there is no job with that name.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
The description of the -Name flag is actually misleading "Filters the restore points by name of the backup job." But in Example 2 at the bottom of the page is says to use the VM name.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Try to assign $RestorePoint a bit differently and see whether it makes a difference:

Code: Select all

Get-VBRRestorePoint -name "Name of VM" | where {$_.GetSourceJob().name -eq "Name of backup Job"} | Sort-Object {[DateTime]$_."CreationTime"} | select -Last 1
Thanks.
sbrissen
Novice

Post by sbrissen »

That seems to have done the trick, thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I've made the code select only restore points that were created by source backup job, therefore the script now meets your expectations. Glad to hear that you're up and running now!