Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BHB3805
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dan Andryszak

Server Network Placement

Post by BHB3805 »

We are trying to determine if the placement of our servers are optimal.
All servers are virtual with the exception of the Veeam Backup Repository (and ESXi Hosts of course).
The Veeam servers and VMware ESXi hosts reside on network 10.10.168.0/24, our VMware vCenter resides on network 10.10.148.0/24. Any suggestions?

10.10.148.0/24 - vCenter Server
10.10.168.0/24 - ESXi Hosts (Mangement Network), Veeam Backup Server, Veeam Backup Proxies, Veeam Backup Repository
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

Re: Server Network Placement

Post by micoolpaul »

I'd say the real answer is it depends, are you using a firewall/security device to bridge the networks together or are you doing it at a L3 capable switch? If you've got L3 capable switch then you shouldn't realistically notice any performance problems having vCenter in a separate network but if it's through a firewall then the packet inspection would greatly hamper performance.

I personally if using a L3 switch would have all the physical server traffic on one VLAN, the virtual server traffic (i.e. user facing servers) on another VLAN) then a final user VLAN.

Out of curiosity what was your reasoning behind separating the vCenter Server?
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard
BHB3805
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dan Andryszak

Re: Server Network Placement

Post by BHB3805 »

Our network architect wanted to isolate vCenter Management traffic using a separate VLAN...