Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jmc
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: jmc

VAW 2.0 & Backup to Veeam Repository over WAN

Post by jmc »

hello @ all,

i want to backup a physical server with windows sbs2011 to a veeam backup & replication 9.5 u1 repository over wan (10 MBit).
is that usable and does the agent use technics to reduce the trafic?

thx
jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
rekun
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rene Knudsen

Re: VAW 2.0 & Backup to Veeam Repository over WAN

Post by rekun »

Hi Jeff
I guess the best why to do it would be by adding a USB drive/NAS or some other storage at the same physical site as the SBS2011. This you could then add as a repository to your Veeam Backup and replication server, and choose that as a target for the Agent backup.

So now you should have the agent backup to a local repository, and from here you can simply make a backup copy job to sync it to your primary site.

I am not sure if direct backup over WAN is supported though, and I guess someone at Veeam will reply back about that.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

Backing up across the WAN with VAW should be no different than with VBR. Does it work? Sure. Is it recommended? No. A better option is what Rene has proposed, and I've proposed the same thing to customers. Plus by backing up to a local VBR repo and leveraging backup copy jobs, you can now also leverage WAN acceleration which would be advised for 10Mbps links.

Joe
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

hello and thanks for answers.

ok, i install a veeam proxy on the sbs server and create a network share to a NAS (QNAP/Synology/ ...) as repository to the remote site B&R installation. now i can backup to B&R with permissions on the NAS. the VAW and the proxy recognize it as local and backup over local network. on the remote site B&R i define a new backup copy job (Windows Agent) to an other offsite location to the sbs server and will be happy.

i will try this :-)

jeff
Everybody ask why the dinosaurs are gone - nobody ask why they are lived so long
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

You shouldn't need to create a proxy on the SBS server. Backups should go directly from VAW (it's the data mover) to the NAS repo. Then for copy jobs, those go repository to repository. Since you have a NAS, a gateway is involved, so you might want to configure the SBS server as the gateway for the NAS repo rather than use "automatic selection." That would be about it.

Joe
jmc
Service Provider

Post by jmc »

hello joe,

that's sound nice, but when i choose CIFS in the VAW and backup to NAS, how recognize the B&R on the remote site the VAW? Should i add the sbs server under infrastructure to windows server or as new proxy?

thx
jeff
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jeff,
when i choose CIFS in the VAW and backup to NAS
Add this NAS to VBR console as a repository, assign local gateway server (same location as your VAW). Use VBR repo as a target in VAW job settings. Then it should be possible to use backup copy job from such repository.
tranquilnet
Service Provider
Full Name: Tranquilnet IT Solutions

[MERGED]veeam agent for win multiple backup jobs and locatio

Post by tranquilnet »

Forgive me if this option is already available but I could not find it.

Frequently, for our device we backup direct to cloud connect, we also want to create a local backup. It would be nice to have two backup locations and/or the ability to create (or assign or mass assign) multiple backup jobs to a device using the veeam agent for windows.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: veeam agent for win multiple backup jobs and/or location

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

You can choose a Veeam B&R repository as a target for VAW and use backup copy job to send backups to Cloud Connect repository.
Please review this existing discussion for more details.

Thanks!
tranquilnet
Service Provider
Full Name: Tranquilnet IT Solutions

Post by tranquilnet »

Thanks for the response, however, I am looking for a local backup option outside of our VBR, such as a USB drive. This would be for devices with no VBR available that we would backup direct to cloud connect. The goal is to have a local backup and cloud connect copy where a VBR is not accessible or available.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi tranquilnet,

The options with the current version are:

- Setup a local VBR FREE server and use agent license on top. This would switch VBR to agent mode and allows you to use is as a target for your agent jobs and run backup copy to cloud repository.
- Use VAW job targeted to your cloud connect repository and periodically perform standalone full backup to another location (i.e. usb device or shared folder). This option can be scripted as VAW allows to run standalone full via cmd.
- Try configuration API config swap with multiple destinations configured.