Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Jaques(JC)
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jaques Coetsee

Forever forward incremental and instant recovery

Post by Jaques(JC) »

Hi there,

I use forever forward incremental for the majority of the jobs, also I do not do synthetic full backups, my question is regarding doing a instant vm recovery.

Am I correct in saying that the job does merge the incremental changes into the full backup and if I should do a instant VM recovery, I will be doing a vm recovery with all changes already injected into it and that the vm is not outdated but current and up to date with all changes injected?
Jaques(JC)
Service Provider

Re: Forever forward incremental and instant recovery

Post by Jaques(JC) »

Or let me aslo ask this,

if I go through the instant vm recovery process, and I select the latest restore point I want to restore to, will it take the full backup and inject that restore point into the full and that is what will be restored as the full vm?
Jaques(JC)
Service Provider

Post by Jaques(JC) »

Apologies, I have another question as well.

I just did a test of the instant vm recovery, and selecting the latest restore point available I keep getting a message saying "some backup files are locked" but as soon as I select an older restore point that is not the latest this works, why is that?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

will it take the full backup and inject that restore point into the full and that is what will be restored as the full vm?
If you run Instant VM Recovery against the latest restore point, the restored VM will reflect the state of VM at the time of latest backup. Once you finalize the process, the VM will be a fully functional VM without any dependencies whatsoever.
I just did a test of the instant vm recovery, and selecting the latest restore point available I keep getting a message saying "some backup files are locked" but as soon as I select an older restore point that is not the latest this works, why is that?
Most likely, some process locks the latest restore point.