Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
majones
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Martin Jones

Bare Metal - “kernel invalid"

Post by majones »

My Windows PCs backup to folders on a machine running Windows Home Server 2011 (all on my local network), and when performing bare metal restoration of a PC using VEB I can easily navigate to the shared backup folder using the browse button. However, when attempting the same with VAW, browsing lets me see the WHS2011 machine on the network but I can’t access folders on it – I get the message box “The supplied kernel information version is invalid”. I get the same response from the other Windows machines that I try to browse on the network, but the non-Windows machines (QNAP NAS and Epson network printer) allow me to see their folders simply by browsing. Thankfully I can access the backup folders if I enter the full network addresses, but it is a faff. Can the ability to browse into Windows machines be reinstated?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Bare Metal - “kernel invalid"

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Martin,

Was the recovery media in the question created on OS running VEB or your tested two different Recovery Medias (VEB and VAW)?
majones
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Martin Jones

Post by majones »

The VEB recovery media was created on the specific machine running VEB. I then upgraded VEB to VAW on that machine and created a new recovery media. I then compared the two recovery media on the self same machine. I've since discovered on another machine that I get the "kernel invalid" response when attempting bare metal restore with VEB recovery media, so the problem isn't limited to VAW as I initially thought. I read somewhere it may be a quirk with my dhcp server - if so, sorry to push the issue at yourselves. I think I'll just make a rule always to specify the full network address.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the heads up. I’d still recommend to check with our support team, they can review recovery media logs and say what exactly went wrong.