Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Padr
Novice
Liked: never

Backup Chain

Post by Padr »

I am using Veeam Endpoint for backup 1.5.0.306. I am backing up to a shared folder and I have set the "backups to retain" to 30. However I have counted the vib files in the backup location and they now number 33. The original full vbk file is still showing the original timestamp i.e. there is no evidence of merging - nor does the latest backup "restore point details " drill-down show any entry for merging. I thought that after the 30th incremental backup the merge process should have kicked in - do I misunderstand ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup Chain

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Padr,

VEB counts retention in days when computer was used (days when backup files were successfully created). Frankly speaking, you may have more than one restore point per day but it will be counted as one day in terms of retention. Take a look at this Help Center article for more details. Thank you.
Padr
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Backup Chain

Post by Padr »

Thanks Dmitry,

you are correct - there are some days with multiple backups. The link and your post clarifies - multiple backups on the same day count as one for the retention.