Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkelerikh
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Max K.

Veeam multiple repositories per job feature request.

Post by mkelerikh » 1 person likes this post

Good Morning Veeam.
Thank you for a wonderful product!

In the world of low budgets and high volumes of data, I think it would be very beneficial to be able to selectively pick and choose the destination repository per hyper-v or VMware disk (Yes, I understand that this may decrease de-duplication and may have an impact on speed, as well as increase complexity).

Example:
Client has multiple large servers (4tb Ms Exchange and other large servers).
Fileserver with 10tb of data across 5 .vmdk files (each .vmdk file is a separate windows volume)
x2 Backup servers with 28tb of useable RAID storage.
Reverse incremental backup type.
60 day retention with Active full backups scheduled to run every 30 days.

Challenge:
For us to run backups reliably and not run out of disk space we have created 2 jobs.
Job 1 VMware disk 0.0,0.1,0.2 pointed to repository "backup server 1"
Job 2 VMware disk 0.3,1.0 pointed to repository "backup server 2"

This causes instant restore jobs, vm file restores, and surebackup jobs to fail.

Creating an option within a single job to be able to send backups to separate repositories for each VM disk would be very useful (especially considering rapid grows in data sets).

At this time I am not aware of a backup application that would have this feature, so it will give Veeam an edge over other backup solutions (I know for a fact that this is not available in Acronis and Dell RapidRecovery).

Thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam multiple repositories per job feature request.

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Max, thank you for the kind words!
Have you considered groping repositories into a single Scale-out Backup Repository?
This way you can use it as a job destination and backups will be distributed in accordance with the desired logic.