Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
danielh
Novice
Liked: never

FEATURE Request: Snapshot Hunter is not working reliable

Post by danielh »

In our environment I can find very often orphaned VM Snapshots which was create by Veeam VBR but was not automatically deleted by him.
Support tell me that If Veeam didn´t get an acknowledge from vCenter, Veeam VBR is not aware about this running snapshot and will not store this information in his Database! It mean´s, Snapshot Hunter will ignore this Veeam Created Snapshot "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT".

FEATURE Request: Please implement a function, that Veeam is checking periodically or before next Backup run if VMware Snapshots are exist with Name "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", and if yes, delete it before next Snapshot will created!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: FEATURE Request: Snapshot Hunter is not working reliable

Post by foggy »

Actually, it does attempt to delete any snapshots created during backup/replication every time the job starts. Moreover, VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOTS are outside of the scope of Snapshot Hunter functionality. I recommend to ask for a deeper investigation of why those snapshots are not removed.
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Post by csinetops » 1 person likes this post

What version are you running?

I had a few orphaned Veeam snaps in Version 7.5 but none since then. I use Veeam One to monitor for open snaps and send me a report every day, works well.
danielh
Novice

Post by danielh »

@Foggy: Case was open. Feedback from Veeam Support: "vSphere reported that snapshot was not even created, that's why snapshot hunter was not launched"
@csinetops: we use VBR9.5U1
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Again, these snapshots should be deleted by the job itself, not by Snapshot Hunter.
danielh
Novice

Post by danielh »

@Foggy: Agreed, but the Backupjob didn´t it some times. Therefore I wish a solution from Veeam to prevent situation like this. However this function is called.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

There is a solution, but, for some reason, it doesn't work in all cases in your environment. These cases should be deeper investigated with the help of support.
danielh
Novice

Post by danielh »

@Foggy: Case was open. CaseID: 02137339. Outcome was that Snapshot Hunter is not designed for checking orphaned Snapshot with Name "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT". Because of this reason, Support told, please open a feature request to add features like this in next veeam release.
And because of this reason, I openend this posting "Feature Request" and hope, that your engineers will deploy some functions like this.
SyNtAxx
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Post by SyNtAxx »

I like this a feature request. Add me to list.
gpomanti
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Greg Pomanti

Post by gpomanti »

I agree with this feature request. Sometimes we have jobs that fail for different reasons and the "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT" does not get removed. Obviously, job failures happen, but it would be a nice feature if Veeam could remove those snapshots if it knew that they were not part of a currently running job.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for your FRs, as a solution for now feel free to use these Veeam ONE reports > Orphaned VM Snapshots and Garbage Files.

BTW, we also have an alarm for the orphaned VM backup snapshot > Veeam ONE VMware vSphere Alarms