Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
timholdt1988
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim H

Hyper-V and NetApp Features

Post by timholdt1988 »

Hi

I am enquiring why there is no like-for-like storage support on Microsoft Hyper-v in regards to NetApp support like there is for VMware vSphere under Veeam.

The storage support I am enquiring about is; Backing up from Storage-based Snapshots, All of the NetApp Snap features; Snapmirroor, SnapVault, etc, FlexClone, Array-based Replication.

Can you answer this both from a high-level and low-level point?

Thanks

Tim
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Hyper-V and NetApp Features

Post by jmmarton »

Backup from storage snapshots leverages the hardware VSS provider from the storage vendor rather than requiring vendor-specific support built by us.

Joe
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Hyper-V and NetApp Features

Post by Mike Resseler »

I will give some more information. What version of Hyper-V are you running? 2012R2 or 2016? (It makes a difference as the backup architecture has changed)

For 2012 R2 storage vendors needed to write a hardware VSS provider that can leverage the VSS framework. If you have that provider, you can use it with Veeam B&R to achieve (more or less) the same as Veeam does with VMware. (You will need a offhost proxy for this) The difference is that we don't need to write additional code for this, by simply leveraging this framework, all the heavy lifting is done for us (again, more or less). That also means that for Hyper-V we are able to support much more storage vendors out of the box without doing something additionally. But it also means that the additional good stuff which we can do with VMware is not possible on that platform.

Any other questions
Let us know
Mike