Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Neil Murphy

Restore from SnapVault

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Hi all.

I've been doing some lab work configuring a NetApp ONTAP solution where I use a SnapVault image as my data source for backups. It all seems to work quite well and I can see the snapshots on both my primare and secondary storage systems via the Veeam Console. The only thing I can’t figure out is how to do an Instant VM Recovery from SnapVault. Whenever I try I get an error message saying “One or more VMs cannot be restored to the original location, because it is no longer available, or the host has outdated integration components. Please choose different restore mode”. I’ve presented the NFS SnapVault volume to the same host as the source volume and everything else seems to be working. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

This schematic shows more or less what I'm trying to achieve Image
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Re: Restore from SnapVault

Post by larry »

My issue when I first tried was I didn't make a mount point to the snap mirror. Open NetApp and create a mount on the protected volume just like it was a real volume. Then assign the rights to the mount point. Then when you browse in Veeam it looks like the snapshots at the main site. The really cool part is the instant restore, mount a VM from the mirror snapshot at the DR site in Veeam, this takes only a minute and the VM is running. My DR backups use this mount now which makes remote backups real fast because they are really local.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Thanks Larry. Yep, I already have the SnapVault volume mounted in the namespace. I even created an export policy for it and presented it back to the vSphere host as a datastore. I've registered both NetApp systems with Veeam and can see be snapshots enumerated on both. One strange thing is when I click on one of the SnapShots on the secondary system and look at the list of VMs, the Hosts column just says <Unknown>. Maybe that's normal. I've posted a couple of screeenshots on my blog: https://univirt.wordpress.com/2017/05/08/the-dump/

I could at this stage use OnCommand tools to do a recovery but I'd really like to get the full integration working.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast

Post by neilmurphy65 »

BTW, File Level Restore from the SnapVault copy works fine.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

mine shows me the VM names in the mirror copy. At first mine did what you are seeing but I thought my fix was above. Will need to look for notes.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

did you right click the mirror in storage infrastructure and pick rescan. If you fixed the problem the VMs name don't appear until you rescan.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Yep, rescanned both storage systems and virtual infrastructure.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

I would call support then as I know it works.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'd check license requirements as well.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast

Post by neilmurphy65 » 1 person likes this post

I thinks i found my answer veeam-backup-replication-f2/instant-vm- ... 42126.html.

It seems this is a known issue that is solved by v9.5 Update 2. I'll be giving it a try later.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Update 2 solved my problem. I still get an error message saying “One or more VMs cannot be restored to the original location, because it is no longer available, or the host has outdated integration components. Please choose different restore mode”. But now I can choose the option to restore to a different location and choose any host to complete the restore.
marc.rousseau
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: marc.rousseau

Post by marc.rousseau »

Same problem here (v9.5U2)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hi Marc, are you saying that you still cannot select an alternative location for restore after installing Update 2?
marc.rousseau
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: marc.rousseau

Post by marc.rousseau »

Hello foggy,

Alternate location is ok. Just got the same message “One or more VMs cannot be restored to the original location, because it is no longer available, or the host has outdated integration components. Please choose different restore mode” when I try to restore on same location
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This behavior is currently expected.
SeRo
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by SeRo »

Hello everyone. Any new ideas here?

I got the same problem when I want to restore something from the secondary NetApp. The hosts are greyed out. Update 2 is already installed.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Please, log support ticket and let support engineer investigate it directly. Thanks.