Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vgeek
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Josue Del Valle

Veeam and EMC VNX Snapshots

Post by vgeek »

Every time I try to expand a LUN on my VNX it doesn't let me because it has the snapshots created by Veeam. Is this a normal behavior or are the snapshots supposed to be removed after the job runs?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam and EMC VNX Snapshots

Post by Gostev »

Where are you trying to expand the LUN? Storage snapshots created by Backup from Storage Snapshot functionality should be removed after the job runs.
vgeek
Influencer
Full Name: Josue Del Valle

Post by vgeek »

I have tried expanding the LUNS from the EMC Unisphere interface and using the EMC vSphere Plugin. I get the same result on both.
In order for me to be able to expand the lun I have to completely remove the snapshots and points created by Veeam. Then, I have to wait for the SAN to "destroy" the snapshots and wait more time for some enhancement process or something like that the SAN does every time a snapshot is removed.

The message I get is "The LUN cannot be expanded or shrunk because it is a thick LUN with snapshots."
wlcu
Novice
Full Name: WLCU

Post by wlcu »

Hey vgeek. VNX Snapshots don't work particularly well with thick LUNs. It's not recommended in the manual.