Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankc
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Frank Camilleri

DR, Veeam 9.5 and Nimble Snapshots

Post by frankc »

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of a DR project and require some help in setting up DR using Veeam 9.5. At the moment we have the following:

Production

Veeam 9.5 Server
Nimble Storage
VMWare ESXi 6.0

DR Site
Veeam 9.5 Server
Nimble Storage
VMWare ESXi 6.0

I want to know how can I restore the production VM into the DR site Veeam server. I can see the snapshots on the nimble storage but I can only perform an instant vm recovery without choosing any DR datastores on my DR nimble

I would like to use storage snapshots over Veeam replication as these will be lower and we only have a 50Mb wireless connection between sites

Thanks,

Frank
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: DR, Veeam 9.5 and Nimble Snapshots

Post by foggy »

Hi Frank, am I understanding right, that you want to restore the VM from replicated Nimble snapshot using the DR Veeam B&R instance? Do you mean you're not able to select destination during the restore?
frankc
Influencer

Post by frankc »

It does not allow me to select a datastore only a host and resource. It says that the datastore is disabled
frankc
Influencer

Post by frankc »

I guess my overall question is how do you redirect a storage snapshot to another datastore/volume. This option is not available in this mode of restoring a VM
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Aren't you confusing full VM restore with Instant Recovery? You can migrate the instantly recovered VM to another datastore using Quick Migration.
frankc
Influencer

Post by frankc »

At my DR Veeam B&R server which only has access to the DR nimble and DR VMWare environment there seems no option to redirect the restore to another datastore. After reading the limitations of the veeam explorer for storage snapshot I don't think I can use Veeam at my DR site for this purpose:

[For secondary storage arrays] You cannot perform Instant VM Recovery and restore VM guest OS files to the original location from snapshots on secondary storage arrays — NetApp SnapMirror, SnapVault and Nimble Snapshot Replicated Copy. Secondary storage arrays are not mapped to original VMs and datastores.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Do you mean there's no ability to redirect virtual disk updates when performing Instant Recovery from storage snapshots?
frankc
Influencer

Post by frankc »

Yes. There is no option
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct, there's no ability to do this when restoring from the storage snapshot.