Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
DaveBristolIT
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dave Hamer

Feature Request - Error for NETBIOS resolution failure

Post by DaveBristolIT »

Hi All,

Case ID: 02138419

We came across an issue with replication between two Hyper-V hosts on different domains:
Additional Details: A replication job between to Hyper-V hosts is failing due to RPC not connecting. RPC connects fine while testing outside of Veeam. Erorr message: 26/04/2017 04:42:26 :: Failed to process replication task Error: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

We checked WMI connectivity manually - all fine.
We checked Event Viewer connectivity - all fine.

The exact message in the logs was:
Invoking WMI method: 'AddKvpItems'[26.04.2017 04:41:12] <15> Warning Host is added by ip address or DNS name. Check host availability by netbios name[26.04.2017 04:41:12] <15> Info WMI reconnecting...[26.04.2017 04:41:12] <15> Error Failed to execute WMI Query.[26.04.2017 04:41:12] <15> Error Failed to execute WMI Query.

The resolution was as follows:
Add NETBIOS names of all opposite end servers to HOSTS file on both Hyper-V hosts
i.e. on HOST1:
VH02 1.2.3.4 (Hyper-V host)
VHB02 1.2.3.5 (Backup VM running Veeam)
VHS02 1.2.3.6 (Server being backed up)
On HOST2:
VH01 4.3.2.1 (Hyper-V Host)
VHB01 4.3.2.2 (Backup VM running Veeam)
VHS01 4.3.2.3 (Server being backed up)
What would be useful:
a) Better Error Message - this is the feature request - when detecting this error, suggest this as a possibility. You should also be able to easily check NETBIOS availability and report true/false.
b) I'm not an expert on RPC or Hyper-V by any means - however, I'm sure that RPC should be able to work via IP address instead of needing the name? Is there a legacy piece of coding that is attempting to use the VM name? Hosts file is not a very elegant work around. Is there a better fix?
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Feature Request - Error for NETBIOS resolution failure

Post by nmdange »

Do the domains trust each other and does DNS resolution work between them? You may be able to fix it by using the FQDN rather than just the host name or by adding the other domain's DNS suffix as an additional search suffix.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request - Error for NETBIOS resolution failure

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Dave,

I will pass your request to the DEV team, but I think it won't be that easy to change that error message. You stated Failed to execute WMI Query which could mean other things also. Your username/ password combination could be wrong for example.

For the RPC over IP. That should indeed work, but it could be indeed some code somewhere. How are your hosts visible in B&R console. By FQDN, IP or NetBIOS name?