Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
fussel
Novice
Liked: 1 time

how to config connection for sqlwriter (missing sql writer)

Post by fussel »

Job reports warning "SQL VSS Writer is missing: databases will be backed up in crash-consistent state and transaction log processing will be skipped"
(https://www.veeam.com/kb2095)
- no databases with space characters
- account for guest processing is in sysadmin-role
- SQL VSS Writer is in valide state
but:
the sql writer fails to connect to the sql-server because it uses for DBPROP_INIT_DATASOURCE: MyHostName
the sql-server has activated TLS1.2 encrypt&sign. the issuer for the used server-certificate is "MyHostName.somedomain.com" (FQDN) -> not "MyHostName":
this causes a error by SQLWRITER (in win-logs) service principalname is incorrect
as a security issue it works as designed -> the server is unable to authenticate as "MyHostName" and sql writer refuses to connect

where can i configure the correct connectionstring (with DATASOURCE=MyHostName.somedomain.com) for sql writer in guestprocessing?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: how to config connection for sqlwriter (missing sql writ

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since SQL VSS Writer is part of SQL Server itself, I would try to ask this question to the Microsoft tech support. Once the VSS snapshot within the guest is successfully triggered, then Veeam backup job would be able to successfully utilize this.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Fussel,

Can you run (in an elevated command prompt)

Code: Select all

vssadmin list writers
If my thinking is correct, you would get errors or a delay message or similar. (That is at least if you haven't rebooted the server recently because then all writers will show healthy state.)

By default, DBPROP_INIT_DATASOURCE is set to Computer name for default Instance and , [computer name\instance name] for a named Instance.

(I had to look it up again ;-)) but the SQLwriter gets the information from here:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL
Can you check and see what it says?

Mike

fussel
Novice

Post by fussel »

Hi Mike

in "vssadmin list writers" the sqlserverwriter is missing. can't be there as long as it tries to connect with computer name instead of FQDN.
we use a unnamed instance -> so the reg-value says "MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER" (mssql 2016)

Is there a way to get sqlwriter to use FQDN instead of computer name?
Vitaliy S. wrote:Since SQL VSS Writer is part of SQL Server itself, I would try to ask this question to the Microsoft tech support. Once the VSS snapshot within the guest is successfully triggered, then Veeam backup job would be able to successfully utilize this.
Yes, that is right. i thought there is a option for this in veeam
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

To be honest, no, I have no idea how to do that with the unnamed instance. Unless others can respond to it, I would follow Vitaliy's suggestion now and talk to Microsoft.

Sorry for not being able to further help you :-(
fussel
Novice

Post by fussel »

no matter, i found a solution working for me right now...

the sql-writer is using the SQL Native Client settings, so i created a alias for MyHostName pointing to MyHostName.somedomain.com and it worked

after i struggle around with this for days, this sounds a little bit to easy :oops:

thank you
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Easy... but maybe effective. Anyway, it would be good if you could let us know in a few days that it works indeed. I'm sure in the future this could help others if they would face the same problem!
fussel
Novice

Post by fussel » 1 person likes this post

first transact-logs comming in, i have a look on this for the next week and give you a feedback
fussel
Novice

Post by fussel »

hi mike

until today this workarround works fine in our scenario, backups are running + sql-server works fine.
the only thing i don't like at this, is that i do not really know why this happens. in the event-logs the errors in app-logs are gone, the one in syslog are still there. may be there comes a solution with some updates for mssql-server.

but for know this is ok.