Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
techresultsforyou
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: tech results

specific meaning of "Target VM folder"

Post by techresultsforyou »

Hi folks. I am using the free version of Veeam and have made a VeeamZip backup of a small virtual machine and I wish to restore it to the same ESXi host but put it in a different folder on the same datastore and give it a different name. When I've restored it I wish to boot it up just to be sure that Veeam is backing up and restoring OK. BTW, this virtual machine is an old one that is powered off and is not in production. When I restore it I'll turn the NIC off for that VM since I don't want it to connect to the network.

My question is that I'm not sure what Veeam means by "Target VM folder" in the restore wizard. It won't let me change that value and it sets it at "vm" (see the wizard summary below). I've told it to use the same resource pool and datastore and told it to give the restored virtual machine a new name, but I want to understand what the "Target VM folder" exactly means before I restore this VM since there are other production VMs running on this host. I browsed the datastore in vSphere and I don't see a folder named "vm" so I'm confused. Thanks in advance for your help.

THIS IS THE SUMMARY THE RESTORE WIZARD SHOWS RIGHT BEFORE YOU DO THE RESTORE
Proxy: Automatic selection
Original VM name: Virtual Machine 1
New VM name: Virtual Machine 1 test restore
Restore point: less than a day ago (10:28 AM Tuesday 5/9/2017)
Target host: 210.110.22.209
Target resource pool: Resources
Target VM folder: vm
Target datastore: datastore1
Network mapping:
VM Network -> VM Network
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: specific meaning of "Target VM folder"

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

First: Welcome to the forums!

Are you restoring to a standalone ESXi not managed by vCenter server?

Mike
techresultsforyou
Novice

Yes, I am restoring to a standalone ESXi server not managed by vCenter. I know that this means that the option to change the "Target VM folder" for the restore is disabled when you are configuring the settings in the restore wizard, but I just want to understand what the target vm folder is so that I can be sure that I'm not going to cause on problems with any of the virtual machines running on the live production server when I do the restore. Perhaps the target vm folder is something that is only an issue if you are managing the VM with vCenter - but I'm not sure.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

If I am not mistaken, that means it will restore it to the original location (where the original VM is located). I can't test however since I don't have such an environment with me at this point in time.
techresultsforyou
Novice

I'm pretty confident that "target vm folder" actually has nothing to do with the folder on the datastore that you are going to restore the virtual machine to - it is probably referring to the inventory folder in the vCenter server. I think it is a poor choice of wording on Veeam's part, and should probably read something like "target vCenter Inventory folder" or something like that. I was just hoping that a Veeam expert would confirm this. In my case since I am not using vCenter, this folder is not selectable so is irrelevant. I suspect that when I restore, Veeam will create a folder on the datastore with the same name as the name I give the restored virtual machine, in which case I shouldn't have a problem since the virtual machine that I originally backed up will be in a different folder than the one I restore.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct, it refers to the inventory folder, not the storage folder (folder on the datastore).