Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rpop
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: rpveeam

Backup copy job parameters

Post by rpop »

Hello,

I use Veeam backup copy jobs, everthing works perfectly but i would like to know what is the best practices about some parameters in the job:

Source : Veeam backup on repository Veeam
Target : HPE Storeonce catalyst

- actually my jobs are scheduled from 5am to 1pm (schedule allowed period option) for any business day.
. the setting "Copy every" is configured for "1 day , starting at 6am".

This settings has been confirmed by Veeam support 2 months ago, they said me the "Copy every" time setting has to be include in the allowed period (5am-1pm)

My question: my jobs start at 5am as expected, but at 6am the jobs stops and launch a new "Building VMs list" and finish the job. Is this correct ? does the "copy every" time settings has to be outside the allowed time ?

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Daniel
Best regards
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup copy job parameters

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Daniel,
rpop wrote:my jobs start at 5am as expected, but at 6am the jobs stops and launch a new "Building VMs list" and finish the job.
Please, can you check the job session log, does the job start to copy VMs at 5am or get in idle state or something else?
rpop wrote:does the "copy every" time settings has to be outside the allowed time ?
No, "copy every" sets up the interval for the backup copy job, during this time the job searching for new data to be copied.
By the end of the interval, the copy job will start new interval and create a new file (next increment in the chain).

Thanks!
rpop
Enthusiast

Post by rpop »

Hi DGrinev,

Thanks for your reply,

For your first question, yes:
1. the jobs start at 5am and begin to backup the first VMs
2. then at 6am, Veeam stop the job
3. interrupt VMs that are backuped at the same time.
4. Rebuild the new list of VMs that have to be backuped (new cycle)
5. it generate report with errors (for exemple 30 VMs successfull and 50 VMs in error)
6. Veeam backup again VMs that was interrupted at 6am and continue with the rest of VMs.

As i understand the daily cycle of this copy job start at 6am until tomorrow at same hour, and so on.

For my second question you mean the "copy every" sets up has to be include in the allowed period time (in my case 5am to 1pm) ? if this the case i will always has error jobs generate at 6am every day in the history jobs ?

Thanks a lot

Best regards

Daniel
Best regards
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Daniel,

I think I've got it.
If the backups were created outside of the backup copy job allowed period, then the copy job cannot copy data until 5 am and the process will be interrupted at 6 am, as it should start a new cycle.
So you need to change setting "copy every" to start from 5 am, this should solve the issue.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

The typical recommendation is to set the copy interval start time a few minutes after the source backup job starts. This way backup copy job will monitor newly created restore points and start copying them immediately once it is allowed to do so (according to the allowed period setting).
rpop
Enthusiast

Post by rpop »

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply,

@foggy: i will apply this recommendation, you say "...after the source backup job starts" , you mean after the job backup not the job copy, right ?

Thanks

Daniel
Best regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct.
rpop
Enthusiast