Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Jaques(JC)
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jaques Coetsee

Continuous backup to tape (linked to source job)

Post by Jaques(JC) »

HI there,

Here is my scenario:

I have multiple jobs running forever forward incremental with a 60 day retention limit, I want to configure the tape out job to use the "As new backup files appear" option but I want to understand something:

1. When my source job runs and creates a new restore point, will the tape out job then immediately start after and write that single incremental backup file to tape?
2. if I have selected a media pool that will have infinite backup's, will it keep writing restore points as they are created and ignore the retention policy that's set on the source job? (meaning even if I have 60 restore points on disk for the source job, my backups to tape will have multiple restore points as they will never be over-written and will just keep writing the new restore points to tape every single time without any retention?

I want to ensure that the backup files written to tape are basically infinite and will not be subject to any retention policy but will just keep writing the restore points as they are created without ever removing any of them regardless of what the source job is configured to do.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Continuous backup to tape (linked to source job)

Post by veremin »

1. When my source job runs and creates a new restore point, will the tape out job then immediately start after and write that single incremental backup file to tape?
Correct.
2. if I have selected a media pool that will have infinite backup's, will it keep writing restore points as they are created and ignore the retention policy that's set on the source job? (meaning even if I have 60 restore points on disk for the source job, my backups to tape will have multiple restore points as they will never be over-written and will just keep writing the new restore points to tape every single time without any retention?
Correct, backup job retention and media pool retention are not interconnected.

Thanks.