Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

Longer Term Retention

Post by gingerdazza »

Retention Options

We currently two Veeam servers, each in it's own DC, backing up local VMs for a few weeks, with daily backup copy jobs to each other. I want to obtain longer retention for no other reason really than the concern that risks such as ransomware may not come out of the woodwork for weeks.

So, I'm exploring the most cost effective way to keep regular backups on tape/disk.

We do have a tape drive in one of the sites but it's "owned" by another backup solution - Veritas - so Veeam can't "own it" for it's own purposes.

I'm thinking of simply doing monthly file level backups to tape (using Veritas) of the Veeam full vbk backups and the backup copy vbk files.

1. Does this appear like a sound strategy?
2. How backward compatible are the Veeam backup files? (i.e. if I try restoring Veeam 9 backups to a later Veeam 10 server will that work?)
3. Does anyone have any better ways or suggestions?

Thanks
csinetops
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: csinetops

Re: Longer Term Retention

Post by csinetops »

I don't care for backing up backups with another backup solution. You are then relying on that solution to restore the backups of your backups....

Is there any budget for more hardware? You'd benefit from using GFS policies and either tapes or rotated USB drives etc if you want to stick old school.

Otherwise look at connecting with a Veeam Cloud Connect partner and leverage that functionality. I use it for one of my sites and Its pretty cost effective. ($100/TB/month)

From what I have seen in the forums, Veeam is very backwards compatible. I believe Veeam said 3-4 versions back will still work, but they'll have to verify.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Longer Term Retention

Post by foggy »

2. Yes, Veeam B&R always provides backward compatibility with its previous versions.