Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Physical backup proxy server requirements and setup ?

Post by albertwt »

Hi People,

I'm about to migrate the existing Veeam Backup server v9.5 Update 1 into new Physical Server since I want to utilize Storage Array Snapshot.

I'd like to know if anyone here can share or point me to what are the Physical Server requirements for the Veeam Backup Proxy server ?

How do I configure the physical connectivity to the array / to the SAN switches ?
Is there any Storage Array compatibility list that I need to be aware of ?

Thanks in advance.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Physical backup proxy server requirements and setup ?

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Albert,
albertwt wrote: I'd like to know if anyone here can share or point me to what are the Physical Server requirements for the Veeam Backup Proxy server ?
You can overview backup proxy server requirements here.
albertwt wrote: How do I configure the physical connectivity to the array / to the SAN switches ?
This can be FC connection with HBA port or another way is to establish a connection by using iSCSI or NFS technology depending on what your storage supports.
albertwt wrote:Is there any Storage Array compatibility list that I need to be aware of ?
No, but I recommend you to check the section of UG about integration with storage systems. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Also, it is not necessary to migrate the entire Veeam B&R to a physical server, you can just setup a separate physical proxy server for that, while continue using your existing Veeam B&R installation.
albertwt
Veeam Legend

Post by albertwt »

Hi Alex,

I'm planning to build new physical server for the Backup purpose, hence the existing VBR 9.5 U2 VM is no longer relevant. Along with the other Veeam Backup Proxy VMs since I assume it is no longer needed and the backup window will be even shorter or quicker.
--
albertwt
Veeam Legend

Post by albertwt »

This can be FC connection with HBA port or another way is to establish a connection by using iSCSI or NFS technology depending on what your storage supports.
Dmitry,

I'm using iSCSI Storage Array (HPE 3PAR and Lefthand) for the production VMs while the backup repository is on the QNAP iSCSI.

I assume the existing 2x iSCSI NTFS LUNs can be repointed to the new Veeam Backup physical server.
--
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Sure, this shouldn't be a problem to associate new backup server with those LUNs.
Also, I'd remind you about Configuration Backup and Restore for smoothest server migration. Thanks!