Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
coxera
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Russ Coxe

Licensing issues

Post by coxera »

My environment:

Enterprise manager server
Backup & Replication server configured as a cloud connect provider
3 gateway server
2 wan servers
gateway servers published to the internet via a load balancer
port 6180 open to the internet
Endpoint Windows 2.0 license installed on B&R server

My issue:
When installing the veeam agent on endpoint device the endpoint cannot find the server license file. I install the license file on the endpoint and I can backup the endpoint.
The licenses used on the B&R server do not reflect the number of endpoints being backed up.

Am I missing something ?

-Russ
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Re: Licensing issues

Post by vClintWyckoff »

Russ-
This is the manual workflow. However, VCSP's and the large distributed enterprises this process would be null with the use of Veeam Availability Console. All of the management, licensing and discovery is handled centrally by this tool.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Once Veeam Agent for Windows is available you will be able to add that license to the VBR server as well and let it distribute the license to your endpoints (workstations/servers) if you send the backups to a Veeam Backup & Replication repository.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
vClintWyckoff
Veteran

Post by vClintWyckoff »

This too is true but it sounds as though that Russ was trying to target a Cloud Connect Repository which is not a Repository option in Free Edition, only the paid.

Does the above explanations help out Russ?
coxera
Service Provider

Post by coxera »

Thanks for the replies. Guess I need to provide more information. :)
We have a licensed cloud provider environment and the we are using the soon to be paid for RTM license key installed on the vbr server.
I believe that the copy to repository option works as it should as we have been using that with version 1.5.

What is not working is copy to cloud repository with endpoint version 2.0 when trying to use "server installed" license.
The endpoint client cannot pull the license key from the vbr server. So I install a license key locally.

We are not concerned about the free version.

Thanks,
-Russ
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

If you send backups directly to a cloud connect repository this behaviour is normal. The license has to be installed local then.
vClintWyckoff
Veteran

Post by vClintWyckoff »

Thanks for the additional info Russ - in this case you could as Niels mentions apply the license manually or utilize the Veeam Availability Console which was built and designed for the VCSP.
coxera
Service Provider

Post by coxera »

So how is this going to work moving into production?
We plan to sell the endpoint product to multiple clients using our MSP model. What license would I provide to an individual user? I wouldn't want to distribute my vbr server key. The cloud connect console is having a hard time handling the current key configuration as is and does not report the licensing correctly. Correct me but the VAP is not currently available?

snip>>
Agent
Licensed workstation count has been exceeded. We will stop accepting data for all workstations above licensed quota at 6/30/2017 12:47 PM. To ensure uninterrupted service, please acquire and install a license file with larger number of workstations, or decrease the number of protected workstations by disabling or deleting some tenants.
Licensed server count has been exceeded. We will stop accepting data for all servers above licensed quota at 6/30/2017 12:47 PM. To ensure uninterrupted service, please acquire and install a license file with larger number of servers, or decrease the number of protected servers by disabling or deleting some tenants.

<<snip
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

The Veeam Availability Console isn't available yet. The license for the agents is not the one from Veeam Backup & Replication so you won't distribute that. We will soon post more information on how this will work in regards to VCSP's.

In regards to the license error if you have a bigger license then what is reported you might need to contact support for investigation.
vClintWyckoff
Veteran

Post by vClintWyckoff »

Russ-
Definitely don't want to confuse things - VAC (its available in beta now) is completely free for VCSPs. With this you will be able to conduct remote monitoring and management of your client's Veeam environment when they check the box to allow this VBR instance to be managed remotely. Now, if you wanted to offer the Cloud Repository option to these tenants then you would work with your Veeam sales team to determine the correct rental point plan just like you do today for VMs. You would apply this updated license key within VBR or Enterprise Manager. So when a tenant connects to your cloud repository they're assigned the correct key etc etc etc.

As Niels mentions this isn't something is GA yet but it's coming soon and will help you with the scenario you described.
coxera
Service Provider

Post by coxera »

Clint,

But, there in lies the issue. The tenants don't get a license when they install the software and connect to the cloud repository.
They get an error message. The only way around the error I have found is to install the license locally. I assume that there is a bug in my cloud configuration. Maybe a missing port that the conversation occurs or that the license conversation occurs between the vbr and the endpoint and not the gateway.

-Russ
vClintWyckoff
Veteran

Post by vClintWyckoff »

Ah yes, but the point is VAC will do the remote discovery for the tenant and pushes the VAW configuration, license key, repository settings and everything. No site2site connectivity required, its all over 6180 using the Cloud Connect credentials the SP sets up for the tenant...

There is an entire VCSP forum on VAC, you should join that if you've not already.
coxera
Service Provider

Post by coxera »

So how do I join this forum. I keep getting a denied message.
I have been trying to track down the beta without any luck :(
-Russ