Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Michael

Best approach veeam backup & account permission

Post by mcz »

Hello everybody,

in the section "guest OS credentials" (backup or replication job) I have selected the domain-admin-account which has per default access to any machine. Of course, this configuration works since a while.

I have now changed the admin-password, waited for the next pass of the backupjob, logged in (as a local admin) to a vm that has been backed up by veeam and dumped the lsass.exe process. After that I took a look at it using mimikatz (sekurlsa::minidump dump.dmp and sekurlsa::logonpasswords) and there I found the new password in plain text.

I know that there are solutions to prevent windows storing plain text pwd's in lsass.exe and prevent dumping the process but of course it would be better to not use the domain-admin-account for backup jobs. So the real question is: What is the best approach for using accounts for veeam purposes like stopping services via script, doing indexing, enable explorers for exchange, ad and so on? What is the minimum permission a account must have that the job will be successful? Is it better to use a local admin account or how should it be handled?

Thanks in advance!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Best approach veeam backup & account permission

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Michael,
mcz wrote:What is the best approach for using accounts for veeam purposes like stopping services via script
The recommended way for stopping services via script described in the article called "Pre-Freeze and Post-Thaw Scripts".
Detailed description of all required permissions for the different accounts described in the User Guide. Thanks!
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

Hi Dmitry,

thanks for the answer but I still couldn't get the information I needed. Basically I just wannted to know which local permissions the user needs to have for indexing and executing the scripts for starting and stopping services. So which usergroup do I have to choose for the user?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Michael,

The user should have local administrator permissions for indexing, managing services by using scripts or any other interactions with guest OS.
For the explorers of exchange, AD and so on, you can find required permissions in the UG.

Thanks!