Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itfnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Backup Copy Job -> Network Bottleneck?

Post by itfnb »

I finally broke down and repurposed an ESXi host as a bare metal Windows Server physical proxy/repository/tape for Veeam. I am really liking this change and having the Veeam B&R server remain a VM is a really nice combo. Anyhoo...

(Sorry for another bottleneck question!)

The Backup Copy Job - It copies the nightly incremental Backup Job from its internal storage (RAID card and internal SAS) directly to its DAS (RAID card and external SAS)...so both are physically connected to the same server/proxy for the job. The job is completing at 1GB/sec. but the bottleneck is the Network? With the previous setup, the bottleneck was the Source and it was processing around 300MB/sec. All in all, I really don't have much to complain about speed-wise, but it's always fun to see if there's any more performance that can be squeezed out of a new setup.:-)

Bottleneck:
*Source = 18%
*Proxy = 7%
*Network = 56%
*Target = 51%

Any thoughts on why Network is the bottleneck?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job -> Network Bottleneck?

Post by foggy »

Most likely shared memory (which is a "network" in case where both data movers run on the same machine) is reaching its throughput limit and is reported as bottleneck.
itfnb
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Post by itfnb »

I've opened up a support case and will let them take a peek. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Sounds reasonable. I'll appreciate if you share the outcome.