Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Eamonn Deering
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: EamonnD

Surebackup remote subnet testing

Post by Eamonn Deering »

I'm replicating from site a (subnet a) to site b (subnet b).
Veeam server in subnet A. Surebackup deploys VLAB to site B
Surebackup on subnet A fires up the VLAM on B, boots the VM (all good so far) and fails all tests except heartbeat. I'm assuming it uses the masquerade IP.

I know I should set up routing for masquerade IP for the built in tests to work (Ping, DNS, GC etc.).
Surebackup won't use the Veeam proxy on site B to execute the tests. Tests are executed from the primary Veeam server. Correct ?
I do have static IP mappings for all surebackup VM's. I can ping these and RDP in form site A or B without any router routing.

Question. Is it possible to have the built in tests use the static IP rather than the masquerade IP's (or even use a proxy on the same subnet) ? This would save involving extra router work.

Thanks
Eamonn
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Surebackup remote subnet testing

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Surebackup won't use the Veeam proxy on site B to execute the tests. Tests are executed from the primary Veeam server. Correct ?
Correct.
Question. Is it possible to have the built in tests use the static IP rather than the masquerade IP's
I don't think so.
or even use a proxy on the same subnet?
Setting up a proxy at site A should work.

Thanks.
Eamonn Deering
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: EamonnD

Post by Eamonn Deering »

The proxy on Site A would have the same issue as the Veeam backup server on Site A. No route for the masquerade IP to Site B.

I can feel a change request coming on :)
During testing have the Job use a proxy on the same subnet as the VLab and/or check for Static Mapping. Try all three options if any test fails.

Thanks for the Reply.
Eamonn
rever75
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Vieira

[MERGED] SureBackup Ping Fails

Post by rever75 »

So I am having an issue where my SureBackups are all failing cause of Ping Test and communications. Here is my setup
1) Veeam Server in Branch Office
-This is cause we are replicating our DR System there and from what I was told the Veeam Server needs to be there so we can failover
2) Veeam Backup Proxy in Main Office
-used for VM Backups locally which we then do a Backup Copy Job to the Branch Office for offsite Backups
So I have setup one a virtual lab in our Main Office for testing our VM Backups. I then create a SureBackup Job and choose the SQL Backup with our SQL Server as a Linked Job. When the SureBackup Runs the Heartbeat passes but the Ping Fails along with the SQL Test Script (assuming cause connectivity issues). I do see the Route Statement being placed on the Veeam Server in our Branch Office and I can ping the Proxy appliance in our Main Office from the Veeam Server using our Production IP. However non of the Masqueraded IPs seem to ping. Is there something I need to change or am missing?

Thanks
Rich
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Re: SureBackup Ping Fails

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

Are you also booting some Domain Controllers? You may need to setup an Application Group and add at least 1 DC to it and then configure your SureBackup job to use that Application group along with your SQL Backup.

Without a DC, the server will detect it is not on the domain and turn the Windows Firewall to on since it is not in the domain and then pings will be blocked. At least, that is what happens to me.

Make sure the Proxy is on the host that you originally set it up on, as you don't want it vmotioned to another host or pings will also fail like you described.
rever75
Novice

Re: SureBackup Ping Fails

Post by rever75 »

So I will test this but I did run the command

Code: Select all

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="ICMP Allow incoming V4 echo request" protocol=icmpv4:8,any dir=in action=allow 
to allow Pings. I also setup a test Linux Server with no SELinux enable and full access to ping and nothing. Per https://www.veeam.com/kb1067 I believe it might have to do with my Veeam Server being at our DR Site (Branch Office) while the Backups are taken via a Backup Proxy in Main Office and the SureBackup vLab is on our Main Office vCenter System. Since these sites are connect via an ipsec tunnel the hops are more then one and per that KB they need to be one. I can ping the vLab Proxy via the Production Network and I do see the Route statement on the Veeam Server in the Branch Office showing the route to the masquerade IP properly just no go on ping.
rever75
Novice

Post by rever75 »

Eamonn Deering,
I am having the same issue as you, have you resolved this? I noticed you stated about putting a route statement in for the masquerade IP's. I assume you would put this in Site A's router. My only question is why would you need to do that since route print shows the Gate way for the masquerade IP's is Site B's Production IP. Since your Router knows how to access that IP wouldn't it route you to it?

Code: Select all

IE: My Veeam Server is on 192.168.101.0 (192.168.101.10) and the vLab Proxy is on 192.168.102.0 (192.168.102.10) which is connected via ipsec tunnel. Route -print shows: 
192.168.252.0    255.255.255.0      192.168.102.10        192.168.101.10  (Network/Mask/Gateway/Interface)  So if I need to goto 192.168.252.47 it would go to 192.168.101.1 => 192.168.102.10 => 192.168.252.47 right? 
If I need to put the masquerade IP's in the Subnet Routers do I put it in the Veeam Server's default GW or both Veeam Server's and vLab default GW's? Still trying to figure this out and not sure why Veeam just doesn't use the Proxy Server to do the testing like it Does for backing up.