Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Tomasz
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tomasz

Hyper-V 2012R2 and VM: Windows10 - The protocol version of t

Post by Tomasz »

Hi
I'm new user of Veeam backup and now I'm testing this backup solution.
I've got problem with backup Windows 10. I wrote this issue on Microsoft Hyper-V Forum but nobody help me.
This is this post:

On my Hyper-V 2012R2 (all updates installed) I have Windows 10 VM.
There is a problem with VSS Integration Services.

Non-Recoverable Error
The protocol version of the component installed in the virtual machine does not match the version expected by the hosting system

I try to update Integration Services on this Windows 10 but system returned Information that "The computer is already the current version of integration services (10.0.10586.0)."
Due to this I cannot make VM backup of thise machine using Veeam application. Backup job faild and in Hyper-V Integration log I get:

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor failed to connect to virtual machine 'W10-plwropc304' because the version does not match the version expected by Hyper-V (Virtual machine ID 68D49A55-89BE-403F-8CA7-89ABA1225FCE). Framework version: Negotiated (0.0) - Expected (3.0); Message version: Negotiated (0.0) - Expected (5.0). To fix this problem, you must upgrade the integration services. To upgrade, connect to the virtual machine and select Insert Integration Services Setup Disk from the Action menu.

How to solve this problem?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Hyper-V 2012R2 and VM: Windows10 - The protocol version

Post by foggy »

Hi Tomasz, please provide your Veeam B&R version and support case ID number. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Additionally, is it a P2V VM by any chance? Do you have any other Windows 10 VM to test the backup job?
Andrew.L
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by Andrew.L »

Just wondering if there was any resolution for this issue, as I'm experiencing exactly the same thing, except with W2K12R2 VMs running on our Hyper-V 2012 (non R2) cluster.

The Integration Services version reported for this VM (a DC, hence why I need AAIP working) is: 6.3.9600.18080
Trying to update the Integration Services on the guest VM reports that "The computer is already the current version of integration services" (not surprising considering Integration Services is built-in with W2K12R2).
When I drill down a little with PowerShell for this VM I note the Integration Services components:

VMName Name Enabled PrimaryStatusDescription SecondaryStatusDescription
------ ---- ------- ------------------------ --------------
<Servername> Time Synchronization False OK
<Servername> Heartbeat True OK
<Servername> Key-Value Pair Exchange True OK
<Servername> Shutdown True OK
<Servername> VSS True Non-Recoverable Error The protocol version of the component installed in the virtual machine does not match the version expected by the hosting system

The support case# for me is: #01957616

Thanks heaps in advance for any guidance.
Andrew.

PS: this is happening in both our Veeam v9.0.0.1715 and v8.0.0.2084 environments. It's also happening on other W2K12R2 VMs, not just DCs.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The OP hasn't provided support ticket number, so you seem to be on you own here. Please, keep working with support team on resolving the issue.

By the way, what about Integration Services on Windows Server 2012 host itself? What version does it have installed?

Thanks.
peterbr
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by peterbr »

Not sure if you ever sorted this out but I just had the same issue and was provided the following link for information
https://www.veeam.com/kb2185

But in summary:
Cause
Integration services on Windows 10 VM (and also Windows 2016 VM) are newer than the integration services on the host and not (or at least at this point) backwards compatible.

Solution
Disable application aware image processing for the Windows 10 VM and use "Hyper-V quiescence" instead or engage Microsoft for further information regarding integration services compatibility.