Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CT-IT
Novice
Liked: never

Oracle Backup with Veeam Standard Edition

Post by CT-IT »

Hello to the board !

I'm writing this because I'm a bit unsure about the backup options one has for Oracle with Veeam B&R especially for the Standard Edition.
Maybe someone can clarify a little bit. :wink:

The scenario I'm thinking about:
VMware will be used for hosting the VMs
Amongst these will be a Windows DB Server running Oracle (10, 11, 12) where ArchiveLog mode is disabled
I want to take a single daily (nightly) backup.
Goal is to have the ability of a full restore of the entire VM, which covers it's state at backup time and runs "out-of-the-box" after restore.

As far as I've seen even on Standard Edition I can set credentials for Oracle.
But what effect will this have ?
Will this on Standard Edition give me a consistent backup at all ?
Will this give me a consistent backup in any case ?
The last question is, because I often read Oracle needs to have ArchiveLog enabled to do a consistent backup with Veeam.

In case the answer to my above questions is "no":
Will it be sufficent to stop the Oracle Service(s) for the database instance(s) by script during the backup, to have a consistent one, which I can restore "out-of-the-box" ?
Or do I have to stop all other Oracle services too (e.g. Listener, MTSRecoveryService) ?

I'm looking forward to your answers

Best Regards CT
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Oracle Backup with Veeam Standard Edition

Post by Andreas Neufert »

CT-IT wrote:But what effect will this have ?
It will send some command to Oracle bring the database in a consistent state (ALTER DATABASE BEGIN BACKUP for example is used beside other stuff).
It is supported for 11 and 12 but not for 10. For 10 you need a script that do the same or as VMware Snapshots snap all disks at same IO use only crash consistency.
Keep in mind whatever you do with scripts or the integration, as Archivelog is disabled the only supported way is to shutdown the database during backup.
CT-IT wrote:Will this on Standard Edition give me a consistent backup at all ?
Yes, see above.
CT-IT wrote:Will this give me a consistent backup in any case ?
Depending on the above and no errors, yes.
CT-IT wrote:The last question is, because I often read Oracle needs to have ArchiveLog enabled to do a consistent backup with Veeam.
As I stated above. To backup Oracle online, Archive Logs need to be enabled. If your script (Oracle 10) or Veeam (Oracle 11/12) is used, it had to shutdown the DB based on Oracle best practices. Thats why people enable Archive Logs whenever they backup Oracle DB with consistency.