Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
leeg123
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: lee garet

old retentions not being deleted

Post by leeg123 »

Just curious is anyone else has exhibited this behavior
Recently we converted an existing backup job from incremental to reverse incremental and lowered the retention from 30 to 14 days. It seems that the job created 14 new restore points, all reverse incremental, and it able to continue to delete the older reverse incremental files. However, it seems to not delete any of the original incremental jobs. Currently, the job now has about 48 restore points.
We were thinking of just moving these files out of the current folder and submit a new full, but I was wondering if there is any way to manually delete these files and update the Veeam database.

-lee
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: old retentions not being deleted

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Lee,

Please can you confirm you have 14 backup files related to reverse incremental backup chain with extensions .VRB and the latest one .VBK?
Retention policy should delete previous backup chains right when the newly created chain reaches 14 restore points.

Anyway, you can manually delete the old incremental backup chains, including oldest ".VBK" full backup file related to the incremental backup chain.
As, you have created a new, separate backup chain by switching backup method.

Thanks!
leeg123
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: lee garet

Post by leeg123 »

We do have the 14 vrb files and the vbk
What’s odd is that the original vbk , the one associated with the incremental backups was deleted. I noticed this after I tested a quick restore from the incremental backups. That failed looking for the VBR files.
Anyway, I ended up moving the entire folder out, and submitted a full backup. Things are good now, and I can import the old files if I need to recover anything from the last 14 days

thank you. Just didn’t know if anyone else ever tried to do what I did, which is to convert an incremental into a reverse incremental, after a significant time of running under the incremental
Love Veeam. thanks again

lee
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

leeg123 wrote:thank you. Just didn’t know if anyone else ever tried to do what I did, which is to convert an incremental into a reverse incremental, after a significant time of running under the incremental
That's a pretty common scenario, not sure what went wrong in your case. Anyway, glad it's all sorted now.