Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mdowney
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Downey

VAW v2.0.0.700 _very_ slow

Post by mdowney »

I'm posting this here because when I attempted to create a support incident from within the software, it told me I needed to update to the latest version before asking for support. I had already uninstalled the newer version because it wasn't working for me. (Thanks, Veeam, for blocking my ability to copy/paste all the text that I had already typed in so that I have to type if all over again here!)

I have been testing an earlier release of VAW v2 (v2.0.0.5??) and it worked fine. I uninstalled that, restarted and installed v2.0.0.700. My first backup took a couple hours to initialize and prepare and ultimately took about 10 hours to create a 85GB backup file. The actual backup ran from 3-8MB/s. I used default values with the exception of optimizing the setting for a LAN backup destination. After that, I changed the optimization back to local storage and did another backup (incremental). That one took about 9 hours and created a 15GB backup file.

I uninstalled v2 and reinstalled v1.1 and ran a backup. That one finished in 52 minutes to create a 108GB file, so it looks like there could be an issue w/ v2.0.0.700.

I was only testing v2 to see if the developers had changed the scheduling to once again respect the "Back up no more often" setting with _all_ backup schedules. If not, I prefer sticking with v1.1 until they change that back. If you are interested in doing some troubleshooting of v2 with me, let me know and I'll make some time for that.

If someone knows if the "Back up no more often" setting is applied to daily backups again, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: VAW v2.0.0.700 _very_ slow

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Mike,

Yes, that functionality is there in the free and workstation edition: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20

So if you are interested, please run the GA version again. If the speed is still that slow, then please log a support case

Thanks,
Another Mike ;-)
mdowney
Influencer

Post by mdowney »

In the link that you included, I find this information:

"The Back up no more often than every <N> <time units> option is applied only to job sessions started at specific events. Daily backups are performed according to defined schedule regardless of the time interval specified for this setting."

If that's still accurate, this has not been changed back to the previous behavior. For various reasons which I've outlined before, that prevents me from upgrading beyond v1.1. If I've misunderstood something or that functionality has changed but the documentation has not yet been updated, please let me know.

As I mentioned, I tech support is interested in following up on this issue, please contact me and I'm willing to do some testing with their guidance.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hmmm,

As far as I know it was always the case that the N time units only applied to the specific events. I wasn't aware that it worked for the defined schedule also. I also am a bit curious why you want to use it for that fixed schedule?
mdowney
Influencer

Post by mdowney »

I'll give you a quick summary. In v1.1, it applied to _all_ scheduled backups. So, I could set up daily backup at 2:00am, for example, and set it to back up no more than every 6 days. It would back up the first night, we'll call that Day 0. Each night after that, it would check, but it would not run another backup until Day 6. If I ran a manual backup on Day 9, it would then reset the 6-day counter and run the next backup on Day 15 (rather than on Day 12). That was nice, so I didn't get extra backups, but not critical. However, if a computer was turned off or disconnected from the network at backup time, the backup would check the following night at the scheduled time and the backup would complete. Now, if I schedule backups every Monday, for example, and the computer is off or disconnected from the network at the scheduled backup time, the backup doesn't run until the following monday, when the scheduled time comes up again. What's the solution to that? Set it to "Backup once powered on", right? So now, as soon as the user turns on the computer in the morning, it starts a backup, which slows them down. Or, they stop by the office quick to sync some files or print a document and the backup starts, meaning they need to sit there until it completes. Or, and this is the biggest issue, they connect via the VPN from home and the backup starts to run, using up all of the bandwidth at the office and running for hours before finally failing.

OK, so that wasn't such a quick summary, but it covers the basics. And the solution to all of this? Probably remove an if-then statement in the code so that the "Back up no more often" setting applies to _all_ backups, not just the event backups. Maybe it's more complicated than that, but I don't see who it would hurt to have that active. Besides, when I do create a daily backup, here is how the schedule is described in the summary screen in VAW v2.0:

Schedule -----------------------------------------
Schedule: workstation
Daily at [01:30 AM]
If computer is shutdown at this time: [backup once powered on]
Once backup is taken, computer should: [keep running]
Backup no more often than every [6 Days]

That certainly _looks_ like the "Backup no more often" applies to the schedule that I've created, but according to the documentation, it will not. I was hoping that the documentation was not updated, but that the program was.

Does that make sense? I see you're listed at Veeam Software in your info. Does that mean that this is something that you can discuss with the developers?

Thanks,
Mike