Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Yuniel537
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Yuniel Lorenzo

Windows Agent on VMs?

Post by Yuniel537 »

Here is my question i currently have a small business with 3 hosts 6 vms that includes an Exchange Server, this company requires all data to be encrypted, i cant use TMP because ESXi doesnt have this feature so i'm using bitlocker at the OS level, but this doesn't allow me to do file level or granular restore unless i restore the whole VM which i don't have the space to do so, now can I use the windows agent to backup the VM then do file level restores and if necessary convert or export backup to vm images (if whole vm restore is needed)?
Or maybe im missing something, that can be done with Veeam B&R on regards to bitlocker on VMs?
skochetkov
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Sergey Kochetkov

Re: Windows Agent on VMs?

Post by skochetkov »

Hello Yuniel,

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows supports Bitlocker: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20 , but before we continue can I ask you to tell me in detail about granular restore you want to proceed?
Yuniel537
Novice

Post by Yuniel537 »

We have Exchange server (vm) with 2 drives C:\ drive is not encrypted and D:\ which is where Exchange database and logs reside is encrypted if i'm to restore a mailbox object i cant because the encrypted volume will not show up on restore options.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Yuniel,

Have you tried to unlock the drive prior running the recovery? Thanks.
Yuniel537
Novice

Post by Yuniel537 »

You mean unlock the drive before using Veeam Exchange Explorer before mounting the backup image? how you do that?