Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wolfgang.taitl
Novice
Liked: never

can backup (v5) coexist with vcenter 4.x

Post by wolfgang.taitl »

Hello!

I didnt find the answer neighter in the docs nor in the topics. does it work to install backup&repl into the same VM where vcenter is installed? and if someone knows: is it possible to install reporter and monitor into the same VM (with vcenter)?

thanks in advance!

regards
wolfgang
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: can backup (v5) coexist with vcenter 4.x

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Yes, that's fully supported. But I wouldn't recommend doing that, as I don't think you want to stress your vCenter Server VM with SSRS, SQL Server and CPU usage (while doing compression of the backup files) at the same time. Besides, are you going to backup this vCenter Server with Veeam Backup?

Please have a look at the general recommendation we have here: Veeam Management Suite on one box

Thanks!
wolfgang.taitl
Novice

Post by wolfgang.taitl »

Thanks for the fast answer!

I have the option to put Backup&Repl to the VM with vCenter or to the VM with BackupExec. What should be prefered? I didnt mention, that we will use Backup&Repl mainly for replication. Does this use more resources? and yes, I would like to replicate the vCenter VM too. Is this a problem?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to replicate/backup vCenter Server with application-aware image processing, then you should definitely use a separate VM for a Veeam Backup server. You may combine BackupExec and Veeam B&R for that, shouldn't be a problem.
wolfgang.taitl
Novice

Post by wolfgang.taitl »

So would it be a good idea to put B&R to the VM with BackupExec and Reporter & Monitor to the VM with vCenter? is this supported?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, it is supported, though if best practices are concerned and you have a spare VM I would install Veeam Monitor & Reporter in a separate VM. By the way, what is the size of the virtual infrastructure you're going to monitor and report against?
wolfgang.taitl
Novice

Post by wolfgang.taitl »

We have no Windows Server Licenses left. So one option is to install Monitor & Reporter in the VM with vCenter or in an seperate VM running Windows XP. I would prefer a Server OS for this. The infrastructure isnt that large. There are 3 Hosts and about 20 VMs. So should it work to bundl vCenter and Monitor & Reporter in one VM?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Provided that your infrastructure is not large, then you may install all the products into a single box with BE. I wouldn't recommend messing up vCenter Server VM which is mission critical with other applications.