Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
thomas23
Novice
Liked: never

Linux Repository | which filesystem

Post by thomas23 »

Hello veeam-users,

we plan a new place for hold our backup repository and And we want to use linux. There are differences
which filsystem should we use for the direct attached storage (performance vs stability?
I prefer a CentOS or Debian System, but the main-question is ext4,btrfs,ZFS ....
Today we use version 9.5.

Thanks in advance
Thomas
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Re: Linux Repository | which filesystem

Post by mkretzer »

I have the same question - I hope that at some point something like refs block clone works with btrfs or so. What is the most future prove fs?
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd » 1 person likes this post

I had the good fortune and pleasure to attend VeeamON 2017. I attended one of Anton Gostev's breakout sessions, which was on the topic of Backup Repository Best Practices. His personal recommendation for a Linux file system is XFS; developed by SGI. It's been around for ~25 years and has never had a crash in over 20 years.

You can check out the XFS website @ xfs.org; be sure to look at the FAQ. You can also check Red Hat's article on file system limitations here: https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1532 - good read.

As you may be aware, the current release of CentOS 7 defaults to the XFS filesystem.

Hope this helps.

-MD
mlott@gie.com
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Miles Lott

Post by mlott@gie.com » 1 person likes this post

We use XFS for our file server and generally for anything that would require more than 16TB of storage. We also use it for smaller than 16TB. The failures I have seen with this file system were only when there was a problem with the underlying array, etc. In those extreme cases, you can end up with some zero-length files and other weirdness. I recommend it but I wouldn't say it's indestructible.
nitramd
Veteran

Post by nitramd »

Sorry, should have been more clear. The comments with regards to the XFS filesystem, i.e. how long its been around, etc, were made by Anton at the breakout session; this is my recollection of what he said about XFS.

I believe that he was trying to show that XFS is a proven technology due to its longevity and robustness.

I also know of no bulletproof computer hardware or software but certainly recommend XFS.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, I can confirm I did say that :D of course, while it was more of a joke to get the point across - the reason for one was that I've never heard anything but praise on XFS stability and reliability.
thomas23
Novice
Liked: never

Post by thomas23 »

Hello together,

i wonder, that nobady talk about btrfs. Behind the question, it stands the hope that we see some integration in filesystem-functionality (in the future).
Anyway, I'll test first with xfs.

thanks
Thomas
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Because simply put, btrfs is a terrible choice these days (way too unreliable, needs to mature first). Definitely the last place you want to be using for storing your backups.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1931 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

To better answer, BTRFS instability should be split into two different parts:
- file structure is totally stable, has not been changed for a long time, and it's proven in multiple places (its lead developers work at Facebook and they use it in many places, and Suse is using now btrfs as their default filesystem)
- userland tools is were development is still rapidly changing, and some tools and options are not stable yet. You can have a better view on the current status here: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Status

Do you need specifically some of the feature that BTRFS has? If no, then you are ok with XFS. I'd go for XFS myself probably "today", but who knows in one year.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

Post by Robvil » 1 person likes this post

I´m running on btrfs without issues.
davecla
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dave Clarke

Post by davecla »

Anyone using ZFS??
I've migrated my repositories to ReFS which seems to work really well, but was thinking seriously about moving to ZFS on Linux to give OS separation. I've just had 600TB of Dell JBOD delivered - waiting for the linux guys to do their bit, then it's all go, so very keen to hear about others experiences in this space.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

ZFS is fine. It is quite popular file system for backup repositories, especially among our service providers. I recommend both XFS and ZFS without hesitation, but prefer XFS for maturity and reliability.
nitramd
Veteran

Post by nitramd »

@davecla,

If you're interested, check out the following ZFS links on the FreeNAS website; these documents may help to illuminate ZFS:

FreeNAS® User Guide 9.10.2-U2: http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/

FreeNAS: A Worst Practices Guide: http://www.freenas.org/blog/freenas-worst-practices/

Although I don't use ZFS, I find it quite intriguing and may have to setup a test environment sometime down the road.

-MD