Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
schewee
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Schewe

Replicating a subset of data from free agents

Post by schewee »

I'm using a NFR license of VBR and free Agents to backup my home lab/systems (Desktop, 2x Laptops, Server and a few VMs).

I have a Intel NUC running VBR with a 4TB HD attached via USB and a seperate 4TB NAS connected to my network. Both are configured as repositories in VBR.

Right now everything backups up to the 4TB HD directly attached to the NUC running VBR.

I plan to send the NAS to work and have it VPN back into my home network so it is reachable by systems on my LAN at home (this isn't a problem).

What I want to do now is replicate a subset of files from one Free Agent backup jobs to the NAS at work. The complete backup is over 5TB and there are certain directories within the server I don't want to replicate over my LAN that change frequently and contain large files I don't care about backing up off site (out side of my home). Is there anyway to select a subset of a full backup stored locally to be replicated remotely? I don't even seem to be able to replicate the entire data set let alone parts from within it.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Replicating a subset of data from free agents

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Eric,

First: Welcome to the forums!

If I understand it correctly (I can be wrong, still at my first coffee ;-)) you are taking backups with the agents. Those backups are stored in the VBR repository. Correct?
If so, then replication won't work. What you should consider is do a backup copy job to that secondary repository off-site.
But, unfortunately, you won't be able to exclude files from that backup (sorry about that)

Cheers
Mike
schewee
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Schewe

Post by schewee »

Thanks for the quick reply.

You are correct and have answered my question.

Any idea if a feature like this is on the road map? I'm guessing my example is pretty specific and not all that common. If I had 100mbit+ throughput at home I'd just replicate everything and be done with it.

Only reason why I want select data offsite is in the event of a house fire. Guess I could just sync that critical data via separate software.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Eric,

Nothing specific on the road map as far as I know. But certainly noted and while I doubt this will be seen as a high-level priority (you are right that it is pretty specific) it will come onto our list

Mike