Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
smendoza
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sonny Mendoza

Datastore Overallocation due to Thin Provisioning

Post by smendoza »

I was looking at the alarms and basically, the only alarm you can setup is in regard to overall freespace. While this is a good alarm to have, it's also imperative to know if you've over allocated a datastore because of thin provisioning. Is there any way to set this up, or would this be considered a "feature" request?

I've tried setting up the alarm inside of the vCenter, but the alarm mechanism overall is buggy in that you can watch alarm go from Red -> Green and back to Red within the same second they occur. This creates a problem in the triggers.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Datastore Overallocation due to Thin Provisioning

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Sonny,

Thank you for your feedback. We are always interested to hear any thoughts that would help to improve our product. Yes, that's a very useful alarm and we are currently working on adding such functionality to future major release of the Monitor.

Thank you!
clayshek
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Clay

Post by clayshek »

Hello, I was also interested in the same functionality requested by the original poster being built into nWorks - datastore overallocation. Is anyone able to give me an idea of whether or not this is being planned for a future release? Potential timeline? Thank you.
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi Clay,

Yes, indeed - such monitoring of over-allocation of storage is planned for a nworks update in Q1 2011. Watch this space! :)

Regards,
Alec