Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
salyerma
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Salyer

Backup Job Setup Help

Post by salyerma »

After some trial and error, I was able to get most of my servers converted from Backup Exec to Veeam. Really happy with everything so far. But I have run into 4 servers that I am confused on how to setup the jobs.

I have 4 servers that are too big in order to fit into my local disk Repository (TB's of images for the buisness). I do not have the space in local disks, so I wanted to backup those drives on those 4 servers direct to a DataDomain 2500 that is my second tier for the rest of the servers. Problem is, I tried to do a direct backup job to the datadomain, which works, but does not allow me to do GFS style storage. I tried to setup a Backup Copy Job to go from DD2500 back to itself for Weekly, Monthly, and Quarterly, but you cannot have the same source and destination repository. My normal chain is like this.

VM -> (backup) Local Repository -> (backup Copy) DD2500 and (tape) HP library. That works great and I can set GFS expiration dates to the DD2500 and Tapes.

But, If I don't go local first, I cannot go direct to the DD2500 and keep GFS settings (only backup copy jobs do GFS type settings).

How are people handling backing up archive type data and keeping 8 weekly's, 12 monthly's and 12 Quarterlies? I am new to Veeam, but I cannot wrap my head around these large archive LUNS and how to properly back them up.

Thanks,
Mark S
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: Backup Job Setup Help

Post by dalbertson »

Hey Salyerma,

Have you taken a look at this kb article yet?

https://www.veeam.com/kb1956

Take a look and see if that answers some of your questions first.

are you using DD boost? what type of backup method are you using....as you see from the kb that can hurt performance if not setup properly.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
salyerma
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Salyer

Post by salyerma »

Yes, I have read that article several times. I do have DDBoost on my DD2500, so that is not as much the issue.

As for backup method, that is actually the question. I am game to anything on those 4 servers that house archive images. I am using forever forwards on the normal VM's but I have the space to send them to local disk first. But these large multiple TByte Luns, I only want to get say a weekly full, monthly full and quarterly full. Actually, they never change data (once they get marked as archive) and the datadomains were perfect for them in the Backup Exec world. Do I need to just schedule three jobs? A weekly job, monthly job and Quarterly job?

Surely someone else has dealt with the same issue.

Thanks,
Mark S.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

salyerma wrote:I tried to setup a Backup Copy Job to go from DD2500 back to itself for Weekly, Monthly, and Quarterly, but you cannot have the same source and destination repository.
Create another repository (just another folder on the same storage) to use it as a target for the backup copy job.
cmorrall
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Charles Morrall

Post by cmorrall »

No risk of file name collision with having by having both the backup and the backup copy in the same volume?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Nope, there is no such risk.