Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
stewsie
Veteran
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Paul

Tape library auto discovery

Post by stewsie »

Hi

I opened support number 02167582 yesterday and the response I received was to submit something on the forum for advice. Little bit strange but here goes.

We have just recently started to investigate backing up the Veeam backup jobs to tape. Initially we connected a tape library that was used for physical backups. This was just to do a proof of concept. We have just taken delivery of two tape libraries and connected them to Veeam Backup & Replication. The tape libraries are connected to a physical Windows server that also has tape libraries connected that will not be used by Veeam.

We have noticed that a tape library discovery job runs every three minutes. What is the point of that? Surely once the tape libraries have been discovered why does it need to run on such a high frequency?

Also there are a number of libraries that must exist somewhere but when the discovery task runs they are reported as missing.

Can I simply change the schedule for this job?
What would be the impact?
Why does it need to run every three minutes?

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Tape library auto discovery

Post by foggy »

There's a registry value to control the frequency of discovery, please ask your engineer about it.