Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mwoolfenden
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Marc Woolfenden

Physical Server Backup and NetApp

Post by mwoolfenden »

I have a potential use case I am looking to explore and have been having difficulty finding up to date discussions on the specifics.

Traditionally we have treated a number of servers with in-guest iSCSI as physical, allowing SnapProtect to leverage SnapDrive to get application consistent storage level snapshots from NetApp for the attached LUNs. With the backup of physical servers being a relatively new feature I am aware that all previous discussions on this subject have all resulted with an outcome along the lines of "can't do it, use VMDKs".

With physical server backups now being a thing, is it possible to for Veeam to create application consistent storage snapshots of LUNs connected to a physical server using either its own NetApp integration or through interaction with SnapDrive (and by extension VMs with in-gues iSCSI if treated as if completely physical by Veeam)?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Physical Server Backup and NetApp

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Moderators, please move this to the VAW forum please.

Veeam Agent for Windows will see all block devices as volumes and would backup them. You can easily test this in your specific environment.
Snapshot technology is software snapshot.
If you need a hardware snapshot as well, maybe run a script that is started by the Veeam Agent for Windows that perform this?