Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
iftikarsaeedi
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: IWS

DR drill when production site including Veeam server is down

Post by iftikarsaeedi »

I have a scenario:
I am using Veeam for DR purpose, in my environment I am replicating my all virtual machine from production site to DR site. And Veeam backup and replication server is only installed on production site which is physical server, and in DR server we have proxy server and we are not using wan acceleration as we have good bandwidth.

I can fail-over and fail-back all my virtual machine when my Veeam physical sever and site connectivity is there with all fail-back with data option. I want to drill DR activity as when my full production site is down including Veeam backup server with DR connectivity.

As in this scenario I cannot start fail-over job from Veeam but can only start virtual machine from DR site manually and all other activities like Re IP has to be done manually, and as well as when my production server is back I won’t have option to fail-back with data changes.
So is there any way we can tackle this scenario.
iftikarsaeedi
Novice

Re: DR drill when production site including Veeam server is

Post by iftikarsaeedi »

I have workaround solution for this scenario by taking Veeam server configuration backup on production site and replicating backed-up configuration file to DR site and when disaster happens. Install a new Veeam server and restore Veeam configuration from file backup and then perform fail-over and fail-back.

But this is manual process so if any other option is there then please do let me know
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi IWS,

When the Veeam server itself is in the production site, and that entire site goes down, I'm afraid that it will be a manual process because you will need that configuration. However, we are working on a solution that is called VAO (Veeam Availability Orchestrator) that will be able to do the things you want, including advanced workflows (which VM boots first, specific checks and controls, start next group of VM's and so on)

this solution is in beta at this moment
iftikarsaeedi
Novice

Post by iftikarsaeedi »

Thanks Mike for a quick and prompt reply.
This feature VAO I have already applied for beta access If allowed then would test and update if any further clarification are there.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Can you work with your Local system engineer? He might be able to get you more details and access