Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ctchang
Expert
Liked: 1 time

Bug or By Design? Restore also removed exclude disk

Post by ctchang »

I have seen this strange issue:

a. Say 1 job contains a VM (which has two VMFS disks), in Veeam B&R, I selected to exclude 2nd VMFS disk for backup, it runs for a week.
b. Then did a restore, in the process (I select remove VM), Veeam ALSO REMOVED (ie, deleted) the 2nd VMFS disk, so we lost all the content in the 2nd VMFS disk.

My question is this a bug or by design?

If it's by design, then I should simple manually removed the VM manually (ie, un-register from VC), the restore from Veeam, then re-attach the 2nd disk.

Please advice.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Bug or By Design? Restore also removed exclude disk

Post by tsightler »

Certainly if you told Veeam to remove the VM, then I would expect it to remove the VM, which implies the entire VM. If I were attempting to restore only a single VMDK then I would have select "restore VM files", not "restore entire VM". Then I could have selected just the VMDK I wanted to restore and it would only overwrite that specific VMDK file, not the excluded one.
ctchang
Expert
Liked: 1 time

Re: Bug or By Design? Restore also removed exclude disk

Post by ctchang »

tsightler wrote:Certainly if you told Veeam to remove the VM, then I would expect it to remove the VM, which implies the entire VM. If I were attempting to restore only a single VMDK then I would have select "restore VM files", not "restore entire VM". Then I could have selected just the VMDK I wanted to restore and it would only overwrite that specific VMDK file, not the excluded one.
Ah...it seemed my mind isn't very clear when I did the restore. :oops: :shock: , thanks for the tips. :)