Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Custom backup job name

Post by ChuckS42 »

I am working on a plan to migrate the long-term backups from our current physical server backup software to VAW, and to accomplish this I need to be able to one-off VAW backup jobs with descriptive names, to show the original server and backup date. I see no way to change the default VAW backup job name. Is this possible? I suppose I could do a custom backup copy job for each server/date iteration, but that seems excessively tedious.
Veeaming since 2013
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Custom backup job name

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Chuck,

I don't believe this is possible. However, as a (potential) workaround, you can create a stand-alone backup for the server and store it to another location. That would allow you to give a descriptive name to a folder on your storage. Is that something that might help you?

Mike
ChuckS42
Expert

Post by ChuckS42 »

Well, I plan on doing that anyway, but that folder won't show up directly in the console (have to start a FLR). I want backups that are easily identified without having to dig for the details. I think I can accomplish what I want with a one-off Backup Copy job for each server/date combination; tedious, but should get me where I want to go.

Side observation - in a lot of areas of IT, vendors create ways of making the migration from a competitor's product to their own fairly easy, to encourage customers to switch. That doesn't seem to be the case for backup software vendors.
Veeaming since 2013
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Chuck,

I would love to hear your idea on how we can make it easier to switch from your current solution to us :-).
ChuckS42
Expert

Post by ChuckS42 »

Oh, I don't know, maybe start supporting absolute expiration dates on backups, in addition to number of restore points? You know, where a backup expires at a specific date & time without having to run another backup to enforce it? But maybe I'm just stuck in the past.
Veeaming since 2013
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Got it. But even if we would support something like that, we still need to run a task or kickoff something to do the cleanup. But certainly something to think about.