Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
nathan.mcclintock
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nathan McClintock

Restore vib/vbk files from tape as a recovery method

Post by nathan.mcclintock »

Hi

A third party set up my backups and, getting ready for some DR testing, I'm trying to determine if in fact the way it has been set up will be useful in a DR situation.
All Windows servers are 2012 R2

My configuration is:
Hyper-V VM guest on physical SERVER1 has Veeam B&R 9.5 update 1 installed.
One daily 'Hyper-V Backup' backs up Hyper-V VMs residing on SERVER2 and retains 14 restore points on disk. SERVER1 has a F/C card that connects to an IBM TS3100 tape library. SERVER2 has no F/C card so 'Hyper-V Backup' backups are done overnight via LAN.
Various tape jobs do a 'File to Tape Backup' that backup the folder (repository) containing the vib and vbk files created by the daily 'Hyper-V Backup' job.

For my testing I come to the situation where I want to restore from tape (i) a specific file from a file server, and (ii) one Ubuntu VM. I would like to select that file and VM from a tape backup taken at our last weekly full tape backup.

I'm scratching my head trying to determine how to do this. Do I need to identify the 'Hyper-V Backup' file that (i) and (ii) are on to determine what tape should be retrieved from off site, restore those files to disk, then restore (i) and (ii)?

Or is my backup strategy all wrong and needs to be changed?

Or is there something else I need to do?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restore vib/vbk files from tape as a recovery method

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Nathan,

Direct VM restore from tape works only in conjunction with backup to tape job. For your case, you have to restore a backup file from tape to local repository first and then restore a VM or/and file from VM using Veeam B&R restore options.
nathan.mcclintock
Influencer

Thanks Dima

So in this scenario, lets say I want to restore a full VM (MAX01GIT) to the point it was saved on 28 April 2017. Assume I dont have a restore point available on disk. My week day saves to tape are differential and rotate on a 14 day basis. This means I would have to use the weekly full save taken on 23 April and just accept the RPO problem. What procedure do I follow to correctly identify the tape I need to retrieve please?

I'm still not convinced this is a best practice configuration as it seems to require too much thinking to arrive at a definite answer to the question, "Which tape should I retrieve?"

Regards
nathan.mcclintock
Influencer

Hi community I would really appreciate some assistance on this. I have tried to carry out a tape restore of a vbk backed up to tape

Here is the vbk file I am trying to restore:

Here is the restore point on the tape (relating to the file above)

When I try to restore a 'file from tape' I am being asked for tape '805' too. Tape 805 contains a restore point from 10th May that I do not want to restore. I want to restore the 1st May files.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are you restoring individual file or folder? While restoring, can you try to set a specific backup set to isolate restoration to particular date? Thanks.
nathan.mcclintock
Influencer

I never really closed this out. What I was trying to achieve required me to upgrade to Veeam Enterprise Edition, which I did and now am happy.