Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
igorrz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Igor Pavlovic

VBK Extract error "Insufficient free Disk space"

Post by igorrz »

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I've come across when attempting to restore a VM using VBK Extract tool.

We have been provided the .VBK file from a client which is 970GB in size.
However when i open the VBK file using VBK Extract, it states that the "size" of the VM is 3947GB (4TB)

Currently there isn't enough free space on the server regardless but we are willing to increase the amount of disks in the server which brings me to my questions below.

Questions:
-Why is VBK Extract tool showing 4TB as the size of the vm? (i can only assume that it was a dynamically expanding disk with a maximum size of 4tb?)
-Would the software run if we had a minimum of 1TB space or would we need the full 4TB free to get it running?
-Is there any way for the client to backup only the "Used" space for the VM?

p.s i am new to using Veeam B&R!

Any help appreciated

Regards
Igor
igorrz
Novice

Re: VBK Extract error "Insufficient free Disk space"

Post by igorrz »

Update: I have tried adding an external 2TB HDD and restoring to this, still getting same message about insufficient disk space.
Why does this require 4tb? is there any way around this?
Is there any way we can retrieve a smaller backup file from the client? i.e is there another way they can backup their server? From what i know they are trying to backup a physical server but unsure how they are performing the backups currently.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Igor and welcome to the community!

Before the restore operation extract tool compares full size (even unused space counts) of VM with the free disk space on the target and if the check is passed, then it will restore the actual size of VM (in your case around 1TB).
However, you can download Veeam B&R Free and restore the backup, this way the check will not be executed. Thanks!
igorrz
Novice

Post by igorrz »

Thanks for the advice DGrinev.

I am currently installing Veeam B&R free as suggested and will try it and let you know!
igorrz
Novice

Post by igorrz »

Hello again,

So i've added another 1TB drive to the server, Installed Veeam B&R (Free version) on the server and tried to run the restore again.

The restore is failing with message: "Reason: Access is denied. Failed to restore file from local backup. VFS link: [summary.xml]. Target file: [MemFs://frontend::CDataTransferCommandSet::RestoreText_{54e0e760-5d20-4dc4-b794-c3161df2a79a}]. CHMOD mask: [0]. Agent failed to process method {DataTra"

I have done some research online however it all points to issues with servers within a domain. The servers i am using are not on a domain.
I also noticed people mentioning that they can enter different credentials, I don't seem to have this option on the free version (although 1 attempt out of around 6 it prompted me for login credentials, can't seem to get that to happen again..) i am assuming it's using the credentials that were used for the network share (which is different to the local admin password)

Veeam is running as local administrator, I have local admin account details for both servers.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can enter alternative credentials when running this restore?
igorrz
Novice

Post by igorrz »

Quick update:
I managed to fix the permissions issue (not sure how, it just eventually worked, the only changes i made were removing and remapping the share and several reboots but it didn't work straight away).
However 2TB of free space wasn't enough and still complained about insufficient free disk space once it started running. Although the B&R tool doesn't complain about insufficient disk space before it allows you to run it, it fails once it moves onto the larger drive (1 drive shows as 222GB and the other shows as 3.6TB)

I am now using an alternative server, with 4.5TB free space and the VBK Extractor tool is running.

I was wondering if someone could assist with the following scenario;

Once the backup has been extracted, I will need to move this to the client server and start it as a VM on Hyper-v. What are the steps for doing so? Veeam has some steps for running the VBK extract but doesn't detail what to do after the files have extracted. I am just assuming that i will copy these over to the client's server and then create a VM & attach the disks?

My question still hasn't been answered about why the requirement is 4TB when the backup of the server is only 925GB?
Also is there any way that the client can perform backups without all the extra space and only include the "used" space?

any help appreciated..
igorrz
Novice

Post by igorrz »

Further update:

Back to square one. The extract of the backup failed with error "Unexpected error in Extract.exe" when running this on the server with 4.5TB of free space.
I will be trying on another server in the meantime but there are no indications as to why this failed except for the "Unexpected error"..
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Igor,

I'd recommend you to contact our support team, they will investigate the issue and find out the root cause of the errors.
Please share the case ID here for further tracking. Thanks!
igorrz
Novice

Post by igorrz »

Hi DGrinev,

Sorry i should have mentioned that i already logged a support case, the reference number is: #02171436
I will be trying with a different server today whilst i wait for the support team to respond.